Minor in Visual Arts
The minor in Visual Arts is designed for students who want an introduction to the concepts and functions of the visual arts offered in a professional training program. Students will gain drawing experience and exposure to a variety of art forms and techniques.
The program consists of a 20-credit sequence of University elective art courses. The sequence must include CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr). Space permitting, and with signed approval, CFA AR 131 Drawing 1 (4 cr) can count in place of AR 193. Any course offered by the School of Visual Arts may count toward the visual arts minor as elective credit.
Courses that are designated for visual arts minors include:
- CFA AR 123 A1 Fundamentals of Design* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 192 Intro to Drawing (2 cr)
- CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr)
- CFA AR 250 Introduction to Printmaking* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 251 Introduction to Printmaking* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 270 Bookmaking Techniques (2 cr)
- CFA AR 295 Visual Arts Painting (4 cr)
- CFA AR 415 Photography 1* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 425 Artist and the Book* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 447 Printmaking: Etching and Monotype* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 448 Printmaking: Lithography and Relief* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 470 Ceramics 1* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 471 Ceramics 1* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 508 The Experimental Photograph* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 515 Digital Photography* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 521 Site Specific Art (4 cr)
- CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design (4 cr)
- CFA AR 581 Web Design* (4 cr)
* Courses open to Visual Arts minors and the general BU community at the conclusion of the registration period (exact date will be listed each semester on the University Class Schedule).
Additional visual arts major courses may be available to minor students, space permitting and with faculty approval. All Summer Term visual arts courses can count toward the minor. Visual Arts courses in the Venice Studio Arts program offered by BU Study Abroad also count toward the minor.
A grade of C or better must be received in all courses taken toward this minor. With advisor approval, one transfer course or 4 transfer credits may be used to fulfill the minor requirements. For further information, contact the School of Visual Arts in the College of Fine Arts, Room 552, 855 Commonwealth Avenue.