Minor in Visual Arts
The minor in visual arts is designed for students who want an introduction to the concepts and functions of the visual arts offered in a professional training program. Students will gain drawing experience and exposure to a variety of art forms and techniques.
The program consists of a 20-credit sequence of University elective art courses. The sequence must include CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr.). Space permitting, and with signed approval, CFA AR 131 Drawing 1 (4 cr.) can count in place of AR 193. Any course offered by the School of Visual Arts may count toward the visual arts minor as elective credit.
Courses that are specifically designated for visual arts minors and non-majors include:
- CFA AR 192 Intro to Drawing (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 270 Bookmaking Techniques (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 294 Visual Arts: Drawing 2 (var)
- CFA AR 295 Visual Arts: Painting 1 (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 297 Visual Arts: Sculpture 1 (var)
- CFA AR 395 Visual Arts: Painting 2 (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 470 Ceramics 1 (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 471 Ceramics 1 (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 521 Site-Specific Art (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design (4 cr.)
On a space available basis, several courses are open to the University community at the end of the formal registration period, including:
- CFA AR 246 Introduction to Photography (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 251 Introduction to Printmaking (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 261 Introduction to Art Education
- CFA AR 280 Fundamentals of Design (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 389 Graphic Design Elective (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 418 Glassblowing (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 425 The Artist and the Book (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 448 Printmaking 1: Lithography and Relief (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 469 Color (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 515 Digital Photo (4 cr.)
- CFA AR 576 Motion Graphics (2 cr.)
- CFA AR 581 Web Design (4 cr.)
Additional visual arts major courses may be available to minor students, space permitting and with advisor approval. All Summer Term visual arts courses can count toward the minor.
A grade of C or better must be received in all courses taken toward this minor. With advisor approval, one transfer course or 4 transfer credits may be used to fulfill the minor requirements. For further information, contact the School of Visual Arts in the College of Fine Arts, Room 552, 855 Commonwealth Avenue.