Assistant Director Shari Tumandao is the HTC’s resident expert on herbal remedies and holistic health. Each week, she joins Tea Time to introduce students to herbs commonly found in teas, their natural properties, and how they may benefit your health and wellbeing. You can find recaps of her presentations here on our website.
Disclaimer: If you take medication, please consult your doctor before working with the following products. Use at your own discretion.
Promote healthy skin and enjoy the many other physiological benefits of essential oils by using them to create body scrubs and other body care products. To get started, try the following recipes for Peppermint Body Scrub and Sweet Orange Coconut Oil.
Peppermint Body Scrub
Effects and benefits:
Peppermint may release tension and increase circulation, which can help soothe congestion, headaches, and stiff muscles.
What you’ll need:
- Mixing bowl
- Jar or container with airtight lid
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup sea salt
- 1 ½ cups almond oil (or carrier oil of your preference)
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in bowl
- Continue to fold sugar into oil until fully incorporated
Sweet Orange Coconut Oil
This mix is a mood-lifting alternative to lotions and cremes. In addition to sealing in moisture, coconut oil provides a layer of protection against UV rays, relieves common skin irritations, and has antioxidant properties. The sweet orange included in this recipe may reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, inflammation, and physical pains.
- Microwave safe jar/container
- 1 cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup jojoba oil (optional)
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil
- Microwave coconut oil for 10 seconds to melt down
- Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container
Coconut oil will solidify at room temperature.