News and Updates
Policy on Principal Investigator (PI) Status – updated May 25, 2023
Revision to Undergraduate Dual Degree Program Policy – updates related to cumulative GPA requirements for graduation, credits required for dual degree completion, and revision to the limit on summer courses. Updated May 9, 2023
Revision to Residency Requirement and Transfer of Undergraduate Credits Policy – reduces the number of transfer credits allowable for first-year entering full-time undergraduate students to 60 credits and for transfer students to 68 credits; removes restrictions on students taking courses within the Route 128 corridor; clarifies that full-time residential undergraduate students cannot earn credit toward their degrees from courses offered through Metropolitan College.
Revision to Academic Residency Requirement Policy – reduces the number of transfer credits for full-time, residential, first-year entering and transfer students.
Revision to Advanced Credit Guide – corresponds with revisions to the BU Residency Requirement and Transfer of Undergraduate Credits Policy and redirects readers to the omnibus policy on the Admissions website rather than repeat the information.
Revision to Undergraduate Pass/Fail Policy Regarding the BU Hub – removes BU Hub units from the list of excluded courses students can designate as pass/fail.
Undergraduate Student Registration and Overlapping Class Times Policy – ensures that undergraduate students may not enroll in two classes that meet at the same time.
Boston University Lifebook Residential Policies Revisions
Revisions to the Boston University Code of Student Responsibilities – updates largely related to free speech and expression.
311 Emergency Campus Closing – part of the Employee Handbook
Faculty Handbook Revisions
- Revised Discontinuation Policy for Departments and Programs, and Consequent Faculty Terminations – lays out a detailed procedure for ending a program in the event the discontinuation would sever any faculty members’ primary appointments and/or leave them unable to be reassigned to other areas.
- Revision to Faculty Handbook, Appointments and Promotions section – acknowledges that faculty with the rank of ‘Instructor’ are members of Faculty Assembly
- Revision to Faculty Handbook, COVID-19 Extension of Probationary Period – applies the one-year COVID-19 extension of probationary period to tenure-track faculty who began their service at BU between July and December 2020
- Revision to Faculty Handbook, Faculty Retirement and Emeritus Status Section – allows the University president or president’s designee to approve incorporating named professorships into emeritus designations.
- Revision to Faculty Handbook, Faculty Retirement and Emeritus Status Section – offers gender-inclusive terms for faculty who are awarded emeritus status to utilize as desired upon receiving the designation.
- Revision to Faculty Handbook Policy on Tenure and Promotion on the Charles River Campus – corrects the name of the family leave policy to be consistent with other areas of the Faculty Handbook.
Holiday Calendar Revisions
- Revised Academic Calendar Principles – adds Juneteenth as an official University holiday with no classes, renames the Columbus Day holiday Indigenous People’s Day, and ensures that fall term begins after September 1 each year
- Employee Handbook – Section 308 Holidays – updated to reflect changes to the BU Holiday calendar, including the addition of Juneteenth and the changing of the October Holiday to Indigenous Peoples’ Day
Data Classification Policy – effective April 29, 2021
Data Access Management Policy – effective April 29, 2021
Minimum Security Standards – effective April 29, 2021
6.2.1 Ordering and Contracting– effective February 4, 2021
6.2.4 Agreement Administration – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.5 Procurement Ethics – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.6 Shipping and Receiving Terms – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.7 Payment Terms – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.9 Quotations – Requesting Quotes – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.11 Request for Proposal (RFP) Process – effective February 4, 2021
6.2.14 Engagement of Professional Services Policy– effective February 4, 2021
Competition and Supplier Selection for Products and Services Policy – effective February 4, 2021
Solicitation and Acceptance of Personal Gifts and Relationships with Suppliers Policy – effective February 4, 2021
Employee Leave Policies:
Employee Handbook – Section 318 Paid Family and Medical Leave – effective January 1, 2021,
6.2.8 International Ordering – updated December 11, 2020
Code of Ethical Conduct – Updated December 1, 2020
Conflict of Interest Policy – Updated December 1, 2020
Minimum Security Standards, Updated November 2020
Student Work Hours for Employment at Boston University Policy – Updated June 25, 2020
Academic Conduct Code – Academic Integrity Addendum for Graduate Students added, June 2020
Faculty Handbook – Extension Of The Probationary Period For Tenure Track Faculty , June 2020
(Note: Also see the COVID and Sexual Misconduct sections on this page)
Cyber Incident Response Policy – Effective May 23, 2023
Sexual Misconduct Hiring Disclosure Policy – Effective spring semester 2023
Boston University Events and Demonstrations Policy – Effective May 17, 2022
Guidance on Advocacy at Boston University – Effective May 17, 2022
Emergency Campus Closing Standard Operating Procedure – Effective January 1, 2022
Remote Work Guidelines, August 9, 2021
Cybersecurity Training, Compliance, and Remediation Policy Policy is effective April 29, 2021 and replaces the previous Education, Compliance, and Remediation Policy
BU Research Compliance Policy on Acquisition and Documentation of Post-Mortem Human Samples – Effective April 21, 2021
Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) Policy passed December 15, 2020, effective in Spring 2021 semester
BU Paid Family and Medical Leave Law Policy – effective January 1, 2021
Data Lifecycle Management Policy – Policy is effective in November 2020 and replaces the Data Protection Requirements Policy
Gift Acceptance and Naming Policy, effective September 17, 2020
Policy on Visiting Students, Effective fall 2020
Award of Posthumous Degrees by Boston University, Effective September 1, 2020
Policy on Visiting Faculty and Research Scholars, Effective September 1, 2020
Conflict of Commitment Policy – Policy is effective 7/31/20 and replaces the previous External Professional Activity Policy
Libraries Code of Conduct, June 2020
Sexual Misconduct and Title IX Policies and Procedures - New and Old
Sexual Misconduct Hiring Disclosure Policy – Effective spring semester 2023
Policy and Procedures Applying to conduct that occurs on or after August 14, 2020
Policy and Procedures Applying to conduct occurring on or before August 13, 2020
Procedures for the Resolution of Sexual Misconduct Complaints against Students “Student Procedures”
COVID-19 Guides and Policies
Important Health Information – Fall 2022, Chief Health Officer Judy Platt Memorandum
COVID-19 Resources for Employees– Occupational Health Center, 2022
- COVID-19 Self-Monitoring, Testing, and Contact Tracing
- COVID-19 Self Testing Instructions
- COVID-19 Testing Registration
- COVID-19 Quarantine & Isolation
- Employee Wellness COVID-19 Resources
- Face Masks
- Health Information Privacy
- HR COVID-19 Resources
- Safety and Health Compliance Protocols
COVID-19 Resources for Students – Student Health Services, 2022
Monkeypox – Occupational Health Center, 2022
Course Recording practices:
- Conclusion of Automatic Preservation of Zoom Class Session Recordings by IS&T, Procedure, Provost’s Office Memorandum
- Zoom Cloud Recording, Guidelines, IS&T
Revised Guidelines on Campus Visitors and University-Sponsored Travel, effective August 16, 2021
Policy Regarding Campus Visitors During the COVID-19 Pandemic – revised for Summer 2021
Question About Policies?
If you have questions about University Policies or the process by which they are developed, refer to the About Policies page on this site which features information on the policy governance and approval process, or contact the Compliance Services Office or the Office of the Provost. To request that changes be made to a Policy on the website, contact the Compliance Services Office. They can help you understand the process for updating Policies and Procedures.
Policies Website Design
The Policies website features optimal search functionality and streamlined searching through the homepage, and the ability to convert Policies hosted on the site into a printable PDF with the click of a button. The following graphic highlights some of the other site features: