Work on your idea full-time through the Summer Accelerator!
BU students and recent alumni (one year since graduating) can start transforming their early-stage venture ideas (creative, tech, social, consumer) into impact through our 10-week guided accelerator program.
Past accelerator participants include:
- Flux Marine, makers of electric boat motors who completed the MassChallenge accelerator and recently moved into its first office and dock space in Connecticut.
- causeEDU, a college finance literacy and crowdfunding platform who completed the MassChallenge and EForAll accelerators and was recently named to BostInno’s 2021 Start-ups to Watch.
- Reggora, a mortgage appraisal platform who recently finished a $30 million fundraising round.
- Holdette, a women’s workwear line with functional pockets, completed a $28,000 crowdfunding campaign and recently launched its first clothing line.
- HealthyGamer, a mental health coaching platform to help gamers live better lives in real life, launched its platform after fundraising over $100,000.
The Summer Accelerator is a 10-week program that guides students and recent graduate entrepreneurs through the process of building an early-stage venture. The program allows students to work on their venture full-time while accessing mentorship, entrepreneurship education, and more.
The program will be offered virtually in summer 2021 with some hybrid programming components. If you are able to stay in Boston for the summer to attend any hybrid programming, we would encourage you to do so. However, if you are not able to stay in Boston, you may participate in programming virtually.
2021 Program Dates: Monday, June 7–Friday, August 13
What does the program include?
- Two required weekly workshops focused on startup topics including validating your idea, market research, legal considerations, marketing, funding, and building a team. Multiple optional weekly workshops will also be offered based on the needs of participating teams. Past examples include: how to build a board, market research resources at Questrom, conducting interviews, public speaking, etc.
- Mentorship from experienced entrepreneurs.
- Connections to subject-matter experts and innovators.
- Learn from an engaged group of fellow entrepreneurs.
- Final Showcase event to a panel of investors and community members.
The extra perks:
- $10,000 stipend per team.
- Workspace at the BUild Lab IDG Capital Student Innovation Center *Dependent on COVID-19 access policies.
- You are a current BU student or class of 2020 alumni team with an early-stage idea. Only one person on the team needs to be a BU student or recent alumni.
- Your team is committed to the idea. You and your team are eager to work on the idea full-time and plan to continue work after the Summer Accelerator has ended.
- At least two members are committed to working on the idea full time (40+hrs/week) at the BUild Lab during the program.
- At least one team member attends mandatory workshops sessions (2x/week), but all team members are encouraged to attend.
Application Dates & Process
Application Process: All interested participants must submit an online application by Monday, March 1. After all applications are reviewed, a selected number of teams will be invited to a program interview before the final Accelerator cohort is announced.
- Monday, February 8: Applications opens
- Monday, March 1, 6pm EST: Application closes
- Friday, March 12: Applicants will receive a notification they have been invited to interview for the program.
- Saturday, March 20: 30-minute required live interview session on Zoom
- Friday, March 26: All teams will be notified of selection status.
- Thursday, April 1: Commitment deadline from accepted teams.
Questions about the program or application process? Email Tom Samph, Program Director of Business Ventures, at firstname.lastname@example.org.