Four Study Abroad Programs in Four Years? Pardee Grad Sabrina Knap Says Absolutely

in Global Matters, Global Profiles
December 12th, 2019

Pardee Student Selected BU for its Robust Study Abroad Offerings

Sabrina Knap (CAS ’19) started learning her third language when she just 12 years old. By then, she was already fluent in English and Polish. Her love of languages and cultures fostered her interest in studying abroad while at BU – and her love for learning about other ways of living has never been stronger.

Knap nourished her love of languages and cultures while completing four study abroad programs in four years while at BU. This is a noteworthy accomplishment, no doubt. But for her, travel and learning is all a part of her DNA.

“Growing up, I traveled a lot with my family,” she says. “I spent most of my summers in Poland, where my parents are from. When I was 16, I traveled alone from my home in Austin, Texas to New York City for a program at Columbia University.”

Traveling solo doesn’t rattle Knap. Instead, it energizes her. Within the layers of unfamiliarity and complexity, she fulfills her passion to learn about others.

“I think once you go on your first trip, it ignites something within you,” she says. “Once you open the door to possibility, the flood gates of curiosity and excitement open. I love talking to people when I’m traveling to understand what’s going on in their world.”

Knap standing in front of mountains

Knap’s curiosity only grew as she crisscrossed more and more of the globe. She chose BU because of its extensive study abroad programs and her interest in the Frederick S. Pardee School’s international relations program.

“I came to BU planning to do at least two study abroad programs,” she remembers. “But I ended up doing four because I wanted to take some summer courses and had the time to make it all work.”

In the summer of 2017, Knap traveled to Spain to pursue the Madrid Spanish Studies Program. She recalls immersing herself in the language and culture, utilizing her Spanish language skills and staying with a host family.

Knap being hugged by a woman holding a dog

“This experience improved my Spanish a lot,” she says. “Having foreign language skills is really important in the legal field.”

Not to mention, while living abroad in Spain, Knap had the adventure of a lifetime, deciding to participate in the famous running-of-the-Bulls. Steeped in Spanish culture and tradition, there are many different running-of-the-Bulls events throughout Spain in the summer months. Most revolve around festivals, and the most well-known event is held in Pamplona, Spain every year in early July.

This is the event that Knap took part in during the San Fermin festival, a week-long, historically-rooted celebration held annually in Pamplona. On the first day, she watched the opening ceremonies, and, then, on the second day, she decided to jump into the mix.

“They clear out the streets and let in people who want to participate,” she says. “You can run along the sides…it was amazing!”

Knap also used her Spanish language skills when she took part in an Argentina study abroad program in spring 2018. This program wasn’t completed through a BU-run program, but the BU Study Abroad Office helped Knap find the opportunity when she expressed interest. She participated in the program though a BU exchange, where she enrolled at the Universidad de Palermo in Buenos Aires.

“I saw a lot of cultural and social issues in Buenos Aires,” she says. “The exchange rate fluctuated greatly during my time there, and even though it was my most challenging experience abroad, it’s what I needed to get me out of my comfort zone.”

The BU exchange/partnership programs are offered for students who want to have more of an independent experience and enroll directly at a foreign university for a semester or academic year.

When Knap first kicked off her study abroad experiences during her sophomore year in 2016, she wanted to do a program that would be offered directly through BU. With many options from which to choose, Knap decided to do one of BU’s London programs.  She took classes at the centrally-located BU London Academic Center and went on field trips to museums, parks, famous homes, theaters, and historical sites in and around London.

Knap selfie in front of crowd and historic building

“A core group of us in the program took the same classes together and all became good friends,” Knap says. “London is amazing. I love the multi-cultural aspect of the city, and I hope to return after I spend some time working in D.C.”

Knap returned to Washington, D.C. in July 2019 to start her full-time position at White & Case, LLC, an international law firm with offices around the world. Excited about her plans to work as a legal assistant in D.C., Knap says BU’s Washington D.C. Internship Program helped launch her on this career path.

“I interned with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and assisted attorneys in gathering testimony for cases,” she says of her D.C. internship experience. “I also helped prepare cases and saw what goes into presenting cases before the grand jury. It was a powerful learning experience.”

Knap says her internship supervisor, who was the lead rapid indictment lawyer, taught her a lot about the law and guided her in many ways. While completing the D.C. Internship Program, Knap took advantage of all that the city has to offer – and then some. She volunteered at the Human Rights Campaign Gala and saw former Vice President Joe Biden speak. She also saw the late Senator John McCain lie in state.

“I fell in love with D.C. once I met people who live and work there and saw the D.C. that exists beyond the monuments and tourist attractions,” she says. “I’m excited to return and see friends and become a part of the culture. I like being surrounded by people who are passionate, hard-working, and interested in the news and current events…I’m kinda a history nerd but also like politics.”

Knap says her varied study abroad experiences all taught her something different. “Everyone has a story, and you can’t jump to conclusions. The best way to understand a culture and understand why or how they do what they do is by talking to them. I think I grew personally because I made it a point to talk to so many people on my travels, and I developed a lot of confidence in doing so.”