Cybersecurity is the art of protecting networks, devices, and data from unauthorized access or criminal use and the practice of ensuring confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information. There are many risks associated with cybersecurity, some more serious than others. Among those dangers are malware erasing your entire system, an attacker breaking into your system and altering files, an attacker using your computer to attack others, or an attacker stealing your credit card information and making unauthorized purchases.
To minimize the risks of cyberattacks, follow these basic cybersecurity best practices:
- Keep software up to date.
- Run up-to-date antivirus software.
- Use strong passwords.
- Change default usernames and passwords.
- Implement multi-factor authentication.
- Install a firewall.
- Be suspicious of unexpected emails.