Ready to start your application? Make sure you visit our Plan section first.
Application Process and Admissions Timeline
Applications open on April 1st for Spring programs and October 31st for Summer and Fall programs
While You Are Waiting to Apply
There are some things that you can do to prepare before the formal application opens. Get started today.
- Cultivate relationships with your professors. You’ll need one of them to submit an academic recommendation for you when the application opens.
- Continue to focus on your academics.
- Gain internship, work or volunteer experience.
- Update your résumé: An important component of the Study Abroad application is an updated résumé. If you have questions regarding your résumé, contact the Center for Career Development or your individual school/college career advising department.
- Establish a study abroad plan with your academic advisor (BU students) or your Study Abroad advisor (non-BU students).
- Think seriously about whether more than one program meets your academic, personal and professional goals. Some of our programs and internship tracks can be competitive, so do some research on alternate program choices.
Deadlines for applications are below. There are some exceptions, make sure to refer to our academic deadline page.
- Fall date & academic year programs: March 15
- Spring date: October 1
- Summer date: March 1
Applications have several components:
- Application Questionnaire
- Advisor Support of Participation Form
- Academic Recommendation
- Non-refundable $55 Application fee
- Additional program-specific materials may be required.
Applications will not be reviewed until all materials are on file, including the most recent transcript showing coursework completed prior to the application deadline. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials have been received by the BU Study Abroad office.
For competitive programs or tracks, BU Study Abroad may in some cases place applications on hold until a review of the full applicant pool is completed.
If you are a BU student awaiting an admissions decision, you should register for on-campus courses as you normally would do. If you are admitted to a program, BU Study Abroad will adjust your registration and student account accordingly. Fall semester applicants should also proceed with housing selection; you can later transfer your housing deposit to BU Study Abroad to account for the mandatory program deposit required of students who accept an offer of admission to a study abroad program. Please refer to the BU Housing website for details about canceling a housing reservation.
Once the notification period begins, students with a complete application will receive an admission decision in two to four weeks. We will notify you of your admissions decision via email. The email will include information and resources necessary for the next steps.