Budget Development Process (Stage I)
Budget Development Summary Template
The Budget Development Summary template is where you will be recording any variances to target that you are submitting for the FY-2015 Stage I Submission. If the financial activity for your division/department is separated, and you have multiple Budget Development Worksheets, there will be a unique worksheet in the file that corresponds to each Budget Development Worksheet.
- When entering information on each row, you should work from left to right filling in each column. If you skip over a column, the drop-down menus in subsequent columns may not work.
- Portions of the worksheet are protected in order to ensure that the summary data at the top of the page is calculated correctly, but because of this protection feature, there are some restrictions:
- You cannot insert more rows to your spreadsheet. If you need to add additional rows, contact your Budget Analyst, and he or she will be able to assist you.
- You cannot adjust the column width.
- You can adjust the row height if needed; however, in most cases you will not need to adjust the row height because the worksheet is formatted to auto-adjust the row height based on the input.
Column Title Descriptions and Explanations
Column A Line Item
If you go beyond the item #s already listed on the document, please type in the next number.
Column B Income / Expense
Use the drop-down menu to choose Income or Expense. This choice will determine the menu options available in subsequent columns.
Column C Variance Category
Use the drop-down menu to choose one of the options.
Column D Income / Expense Classification
Use the drop-down menu to choose one of the options. Your selection will determine which Commitment Items are available to choose from in Column F. If you are uncertain of which classification to choose, refer to the Commitment Items worksheet, which provides a list of the options (see Row 5), and the Commitment Items associated with each classification.
Column E Fund Center
Use the drop-down menu to choose the applicable Fund Center.
Column F Commitment Item
Use the drop-down menu to select the appropriate Commitment Item.
Column G Recurring Amount
Enter the amount of the variance in this column only if there is an ongoing impact to future fiscal years. The amount should be entered as positive if it is an increase and negative if it is a decrease.
Column H Non-Recurring Amount
Enter the amount of the variance in this column if the impact is one time only. The amount should be entered as positive if it is an increase and negative if it is a decrease.
Column I FTE
If the variance relates to adding a position, please enter the full-time equivalent for that position.
Column J Variance Explanation
All variances should be fully explained in this field.
Column K Position # (if applicable)
If your variance refers to an existing position, please enter the SAP position number here.
Column L Priority
Use the drop-down menu to select high, medium, or low.