Admission to the MA Program
Candidates for admission with degrees in a variety of fields are encouraged to apply. Common undergraduate majors include American studies, art history, city planning, economics, history, and business administration. Although many students apply to the Program directly from undergraduate work, a significant number of students have pursued careers or post-graduate education before enrolling. We make every effort to accommodate applicants who may be returning to study after a period of time spent away from the academy.
Admission to the JD/MA Program
Students must first apply to and be accepted by the Boston University School of Law. For application procedures for the School of Law, please consult the current Boston University School of Law catalogue. Once students are accepted to the School of Law, they submit a separate application to and must be accepted by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, normally before the end of their first year in law school. The Graduate School allows the following modifications to the application requirements: the substitution of LSAT for GRE scores and the submission of copies of recommendations and transcripts already submitted for admission to the law school.
For application procedures for the Graduate School, consult the current Boston University Graduate School admissions.
The following is a checklist of all materials necessary to complete an admissions application:
Note: All Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, and GRE Scores Must Be Official Copies.
No Photocopies Will Be Accepted.
- Application + fee
- Transcript(s), or official records of each college or university attended
- 3 Letters of Recommendation, in English and at least two must be from university-level faculty members
- GRE Scores, must be an official copy (sent to Institution Code 3087)
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
And additionally for international students:
- TOEFL Scores, must be an official copy
- Certified English translations of all transcripts and academic records
- Fall Entrance: January 15th (if applying for financial aid) or April 1st (no aid)
- Spring Entrance: November 15th