MFA in Directing
Our Master of Fine Arts in Directing program provides early-career professionals with the opportunity to cultivate their artistic identities and professional objectives while refining and enhancing their technical skills and range. Coursework is individually designed with each student’s personal ambitions in mind. Each School of Theatre MFA Directing student receives extensive experience in the rehearsal hall in a sequence of projects chosen to stretch and showcase his or her strengths.
Our program seeks to:
- Extend, intensify, and focus the director’s theatrical versatility, sensibilities, scholarship, and imagination.
- Explore and enhance creative collaborations with actors, designers, and playwrights.
- Consider the pragmatic aspects of the profession and envision possibilities for new artistic leadership in American theatre.
MFA Directing students are prepared for substantive careers, either as resident or freelance directors, with special emphasis placed on understanding the American regional theatre and other not-for-profit venues. An “artistic director” option is available that joins the MFA Directing curriculum with a graduate certificate program in Arts Administration at Boston University’s Metropolitan College. Full-time students may complete the program in three years, including summers (two and a half years in residence with a sixth semester spent in professional internship placement). Most students receive a full-tuition scholarship, living stipend, and teaching assistantship. Admission is highly selective, with the School of Theatre admitting one or two students each year to the program.
- Direction of one to three productions each year plus additional scene work.
- Preparation and rehearsal of a fully mounted thesis production in the final semester.
- Opportunity to observe and assist the directors of Huntington Theatre Company and other Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI) productions.
- Internships in the Huntington Theatre Company’s artistic, literary, and education departments.
- Summer internships with leading regional theatres and PTI affiliates.