Boston University students who participate in study abroad or off-campus programs offered through BU Study Abroad during fall or spring semester are eligible to receive most forms of financial aid and should apply for those funds as they normally do, through the Boston University Office of Financial Assistance. However, some adjustments to financial aid award packages may be necessary. Some common adjustments are listed below:

  • Your initial financial aid award may be adjusted based on the study abroad program cost of attendance. You can view and download your program’s budget sheet from your program page, under the Cost & Financial Considerations tab.
  • If you have Federal Work-Study, it will be adjusted based on the amount you earned or will earn during the semester you are in Boston.

Please visit the Office of Financial Assistance’s Website for information on how your financial aid award package may be adjusted.

Recommendations from BU Financial Assistance

Listed below are suggestions from the Office of Financial Assistance for students who will be studying abroad or off campus:

  • Before you leave:
    • Submit a credit release request if you want to access credit from your student account
    • Update your home address and phone number on the MyBU Student
    • Apply for a federal PIN to access FAFSA online (if applying for federal financial aid for the first time)
  • For spring semester or full-year program participants, arrange to complete the following items by the date noted on the Office of Financial Assistance’s website:
    • File FAFSA
    • File CSS
    • Send taxes, parent taxes, W2 to CSS Profile
    • Pay Spring balance
    • Check MyBU Student for any additional information requested by the Office of Financial Assistance
    • Notify the Office of Financial Assistance of any special circumstances