CISE provides an environment which fosters growth and development for faculty and students interested in information and systems engineering methodologies and their relevance to application domains encompassing the analysis, design, and management of complex systems.
- Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration in systems research among faculty and graduate students at BU
- Increase access to related interdisciplinary activities throughout the University
- Strengthen graduate and undergraduate student recruitment opportunities and improve retention of faculty who have achieved excellence in the field
- Support interdepartmental course and degree programs by raising awareness of the scope and depth of systems-related offerings across departments
- Work with industry and government on systems applications critical to the implementation of emerging technologies
CISE-affiliated faculty members have made seminal contributions to a number of key areas, including: control systems, optimization, and decision theory; applied probability and simulation; networking; information sciences; computational biology; and service and distribution systems, energy systems, and production systems.
CISE faculty honors include:
- 3 Distinguished Professors of Engineering
- 11 fellows of corresponding professional societies
- 3 past IEEE society presidents
- 16 recipients of NSF Career Awards
- 5 recipients of Early Career Awards, including the Presidential Early Career Award
- Former editors-in-chief of 3 scientific journals and current editors-in-chief of 3 additional journals