Home » Noyce Math » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I teach?

Noyce scholars can teach anywhere in the United States. They can teach in a rural or an urban district as long as it meets the criteria of high-need.

What is a high-need district?

The term “a high-need local educational agency” as defined in section 201 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1021) means a local educational agency (school district) that serves an elementary or secondary school located in an area which is characterized by at least one of the following:

  • a high percentage of individuals from families with incomes below the poverty line;
  • a high percentage of secondary school teachers not teaching in the content area in which they were trained to teach; or
  • a high teacher turnover rate.

I didn’t major in mathematics.  Can I still apply?

Yes, you can apply if you have taken at least 6 math courses.  Contact us to explore your options!

I have a background in engineering. Is there a program for me?

Yes, the BEST Noyce program is recruiting individuals with a background in engineering. Whether you are a recent graduate of an engineering program or a practicing engineer, the BEST program is for you! Click here for more details.

I majored in mathematics. Can I still apply?

Definitely! The Noyce Scholarships can be awarded to individuals who majored in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics).

I am not a U.S. citizen.  Can I apply?

Noyce scholars must be United States citizens, nationals, or permanent resident aliens.  However, non-U.S. citizens can apply to Boston University’s School of Education and earn a degree to teach.  Click here for more information.

How can I find out if a district is high-need?

  • Use web-search engines and enter “high-need districts in ______________(your state)”
  • Examine public record data for a district to see if it meets the high-need criteria