Mark Friedl, Principal Investigator
friedl at bu.edu
Research Statement: My research uses remote sensing to examine biogeophysical patterns and processes at the Earth’s surface. I am particularly interested in how land cover and ecosystem properties affect surface climate, how land surface biophysics influence the Earth’s weather and climate system, and more generally, how human activities are shaping the planet and affecting the global biosphere.
Josh Gray, Research Assistant Professor
joshgray at bu.edu
Research Statement: My research seeks to understand the role of ecosystem processes in Earth’s carbon and water cycles, and their interaction with the climate system. My current work studies global forest phenology using remote sensing. CV
Damien Sulla-Menashe, Ph.D. Student and Research Associate
dsm at bu.edu
Research Statement: My research is concerned with monitoring forest health using
moderate-resolution remote sensing. Specifically, I aim to quantify
changes to forest biomass and structure following fires in the boreal. CV
Xiaoman Huang, Ph.D. Student
xmhuang at bu.edu
Research Statement: My research interest is in mapping and monitoring land cover change with moderate-resolution remote sensing data. Specifically, I have focused on deforestation in the Tropics and aim to characterize agricultural intensification in Asia.
Eli Melaas, Ph.D. Student
emelaas at bu.edu
Research Statement: My research is focused on coupling field measurements, remote sensing and modeling studies of phenology. Specifically, I am interested in improving understanding of how climate drivers control the timing of phenology and how future changes in growing season length will affect net carbon exchange. Personal Website, CV
Jon Wang, Ph.D. Student
wangathan at gmail.com
Research Statement: My research uses high-resolution remote sensing to study the effects of land use and climate change on ecosystem function and biosphere-atmosphere interactions. Currently, I working on urban heating and its effects on phenology.
Lab Group Alumni
- Koen Hufkens (Postdoctoral Research Associate 2010-2012), Research Associate: Isotope Bioscience Laboratory, Ghent University
- Sangram Ganguly (Postdoctoral Research Associate 2008-2010), Research Scientist, NASA Ames Research Center
- Bin Tan (Postdoctoral Research Associate 2005-2008), Research Scientist: Biospheric Sciences Branch, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Xiaoyang Zhang (Postdoctoral Research Associate 2000-2005), Associate Professor, South Dakota State University
- J. Meghan Salmon (Ph.D. 2012) Post-Doc, Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, University of Wisconsin.
- Manish Verma (Ph.D. 2012) Post-Doc, California Institute of Technology (Caltech)/NASA JPL
- Allesandro Baccini (Ph.D 2005) Research Scientist, Woods Hole Research Center
- Callan Orodyne (M.A. 2005) United States Department of State, Beijing, China
- Joe Santanello (Ph.D 2005) Physical Scientist, Hydrologic Sciences Branch, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Annemarie Schneider (Ph.D 2005) Assistant Professor, University of Washington
- Alexander Lotsch (Ph.D 2004) Manager,Forest Carbon Partnership Initiative, The World Bank
- Rongqian Yang (Ph.D 2002) Research Scientist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Douglas McIver (Ph.D 2001) Vice president of Product Management, Magento Software
- Mary Farina (M.A. 2014), Research associate, Woods Hole Research Center, Woods Hole, Massachusetts
- Parker Abercrombie (M.A. 2013), Scientific programmer/software engineer, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California
- Douglas Bolton (M.A. 2011), PhD student in Forest Sciences at the University of British Columbia
- Adam Sibley (M.A. 2010), peripatetic science guy, funk musician (or at least that’s what he’d like to be), and mountain man. Currently engaged as field tech for University of Hawaii. Needs to come back and do a Ph.D.
- William Boykins-Morris (M.A. 2007) Ph.D. student in Geography at the University of Vermont
- David Miller (B.A. 2013). Research Assistant, Boston University.
- Max Metcalfe (B.A. 2012). GIS Analyst, Apple Computer Corp.