External Programs FAQs

Can’t find the answer to your question? Email nonbusa@bu.edu.

How can I find a program?

Please see the Program Selection page.

Can I make an appointment with the advisor in this office?

Emily Whalen, Program Manager for External Programs, has office hours Monday through Wednesday, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Thursdays, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Other times can be arranged.  Before you meet with the program manager, please be sure that you have carefully reviewed the information on this website.

My study abroad application requires a signature. Who should sign the form?

Please see the Applying page.

Is there a fee?

Yes, all students who study abroad on an external program will be assessed a $600 administrative fee.

Are there any restrictions on where I can study?

Please see the Program Selection page.

Will my BU Financial Assistance transfer to my overseas study?

No. But, in many cases federal aid will apply to a non-BU program. See BU Financial Assistance for more information.  See also the Financial Aid section of the Before You Go page. You can also seek outside sources of funding. Here are some suggestions.

Will the grades I receive abroad be calculated into my GPA?

No, your transfer course grades will not be calculated into your GPA, but transfer credit towards a program may be granted for approved courses with grades of “C” or better. Please see the Transfer of Credit Policies section on the Receiving Credits page.

Will courses taken abroad count towards my major?

Ask your major advisor.  BU Study Abroad does not determine approval nor do they provide academic advising.

Who approves language courses?

All students should see the appointed foreign language advisor, Mary Beth Raycraft in the CAS Advising Center, 100 Bay State Rd. Room 401 for approval of any language courses. If you hope to transfer credit for advanced courses toward a major or minor, see your language advisor. See the Ensuring Credit Transfer section on the Receiving Credits page.

How do I get approval for CAS courses?

Please see the Receiving Credits page.

I’m in CGS—when can I participate in an external program?

You must successfully complete one semester in the BU college from which you intend to graduate before studying abroad. For course approval, consult the advising office of this college (not CGS).

My program is an accredited one and I’ve been accepted—now what?

Please see the Receiving Credits page.

Who is my advisor at BU Study Abroad?

Program Manager for External Programs Emily Whalen, whalene@bu.edu. See question #2 for advising office hours.

Is there a deadline?

Contact your overseas program for their application deadlines. The BU deadlines for submission of all paperwork required for studying abroad on an external program are:

Spring: December 1
Fall and Academic Year: June 15
Summer: May 1

If the deadline falls on a weekend, materials are due the following Monday. Your external program file will not be reviewed for approval until it is complete.  Students who do not submit a complete file by the deadline will have to wait to have their credit evaluated on their return from study abroad.  In such cases, there is no guarantee that credit transfer will be granted.