External Programs for BU Students Only
Each year nearly 2,000 students from Boston University and hundreds of other colleges and universities study abroad through one of the BU Study Abroad programs. However, the University recognizes that not all students’ needs, interests, and requirements are reflected in the BU Study Abroad offerings. It is therefore possible to study abroad on a variety of non-BU external programs.
Whatever your reason for considering an external study abroad program, there are a number of issues that should be considered and addressed in order to avoid complications upon your return. Please review the information carefully.
Before settling on an external program, be sure that you have thoroughly investigated the offerings of BU Study Abroad. There are a number of advantages to selecting a BU study abroad program, so please be sure that you have the facts and that you have carefully considered your options.
This Checklist will serve as an overview/guide. It is not a substitute for a complete review of the content on these web pages.
In short, if you choose an external program, you should know the following:
- You will need to take a leave of absence from the University; this is done at the University Service Center, 881 Commonwealth Avenue (summer excluded).
- There is a $600 administrative fee for external program participation (summer excluded).
- If you live on campus, you will lose your place in the housing queue and will need to petition to be re-entered into the housing pool—see the BU On-Campus Housing section on the Before You Go page.
- If you receive University aid in the forms of grants and scholarships, you will not be able to use them for the program. Federal aid can be used—see the Financial Aid section on the Before You Go page.
- You need to have the coursework approved before the program begins in order to ensure credit transfer—see the Receiving Credits page.
- You must receive a transcript from a degree-granting institution.
- You must receive grades (no Pass/Fail) and they must be C or better—requirements may differ by your BU school or college.
Advisor for External Programs:
Emily Whalen, Program Manager for External Programs
Office Hours: Mondays – Wednesdays, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Thursdays, 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., and by appointment.