First-Year Student Outreach Project (FYSOP)
Mission: The First Year Student Outreach Project (FYSOP) welcomes first-year students to Boston University and encourages them to be more active citizens within the Greater Boston area through a week of community engagement, reflection, and service before classes begin. Led by a group of student leaders and joined by fellow first-year students, participants will spend a week making connections, forging friendships, and learning about Boston and its people, BU, and the intentional impact we have.
Vision: FYSOP aims to encourage growth by providing the building blocks students need as they begin this new transition into college. Through this week of community-building, service, reflection, and fun, participants will begin BU with a greater understanding of Boston, a better sense of self, and a stronger sense of community.
- Forge friendships with fellow participants through thoughtful and engaging conversations.
- Understand the concept of intersectionality and how it plays a role in our community, either in the Greater Boston area or at BU.
- Leave the week feeling empowered and willing to generate positive change within their community post-FYSOP.
- Encourage students to be intentional with the language used to discuss their experiences with service, community partners, and various social justice topics.
- Become active citizens in the world by addressing to community needs in a socially responsible way.
Dates: This year, FYSOP will take place Wednesday, August 30 through Friday, September 1. All new first-year and transfer undergraduate students enrolled for the Fall 2023 semester are welcome to participate. We strongly recommend that students participating in FYSOP should register for the Orientation session scheduled for August 28-29, 2023, if possible. If this session does not work for your family, please let us know and we will find a way to accommodate your student.
Cost: The cost of FYSOP registration is $450. The registration fee will cover your food, transportation, swag, and other program supplies for the entire program. Need-based scholarships of up to $450 are available for students.
Have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.