- We now have answers in American Sign Language (with English subtitles) to some questions that people frequently have about autism.
- Visit our new Facebook page!
- Principal Investigator Dr. Aaron Shield recently published his findings about the signing of children on the autism spectrum in the Journal of Communication Disorders.
- Read Dr. Aaron Shield’s guest blog about his predoctoral fellowship from Autism Speaks here.
- The Deaf Autism Research Project is being featured on the blog Autism Light!
The ROADD Center at Boston University is home to one of the world’s first research studies focusing on signing deaf children on the autism spectrum. This research aims to understand how autism affects sign language development in children exposed to a sign language from birth. We hope that our study will lead to better treatment options for deaf children as well as a better understanding of how autism affects learning in both deaf and hearing children.
This research is funded by a three-year grant from the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), one of the National Institutes of Health.