Annual Report 2009-2010
- Professor John Stachel continued to work with Ms. Kaca Bradonjic in physics. She passed her comprehensive examination and has started work on her doctoral dissertation.
- Mr. Roberto Lalli of the Department of Physics of the University of Milan visited the Center from May 10-24 in order to use the Boston University copy of the Einstein Archive in connection with his work on a doctoral dissertation on the reception of relativity in the United States, especially the reaction to D. C. Miller’s repetition of the Michelson-Morley experiment.
- Stachel has published two papers this academic year: “Correction to the article ‘A Re-Interpretation of the Concept of Mass and of the Relativistic Mass-Energy Relation’,” Foundations of Physics. DOI 10.1007/s10701-010-9420-8; and “General Relativity and Differential Geometry: The Einstein Connection”, to appear in David Rowe ed., Beyond Einstein (Einstein Studies, vol. 13).
- As Series Editor, Stachel did extensive revision of the proofs of Einstein and the Changing Worldviews of Physics (Einstein Studies, vol. 12). He also reviewed the manuscripts for Foundations of Physics, European Journal of Physics and Chinese Physics Letters.
- He gave a talk titled “Marx’s Critique of Naturalism in Classical Political Economy, Modern Cognitive Science and Post-Modern Capitalism,” at the 50th Anniversary, Boston Colloquium for the Philosophy of Science, Boston University on April 15, 2010. Prof. Stachel has plans for three upcoming talks: June 16, Florence Category Day, University of Florence: ”Structures and Categories”; June 28-July 2, Berlin, History of Quantum Theory III, MPIWG: “Bohr: Complementarity and Correspondence” July 6-9, Paris, 11th Conference on Frontiers of the Foundations of Physics: “Where is Knowledge?”