BU Wheelock Field Policies and Site Standards
Protection of Minors
All Wheelock students in practicum are required by BU to be in compliance with the Protection of Minors policy. Students who work with minors need to (a) complete the online training and (b) meet their site’s standard for the criminal background check.
- Minor means any person under the age of 18 who is not a matriculated BU student and who is unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Note: Minors participating in BU IRB-approved research do not fall under this Policy
1. Online Training: This is one time, 30 minute online training covers how to recognize and report signs of neglect or abuse.
- Please follow these instructions to complete this training
- Once finished, you will automatically receive an electronic certificate of completion
- Upload your certificate to the Sonia field database
2. CORI Verification Form: Per MA regulations, all persons working with minors must complete a CORI background check at the field site.
- This form simply confirms from the site that the student has passed their CORI
- BU Wheelock collects this documentation as evidence that the students are in compliance with the University policy
- Students should take a legible picture of the signed form with their phone to upload to Sonia
Study Abroad Students: Because the CORI is MA specific, the signed verification form will indicate that you have passed the site’s background check. If no background check was required in your country, please make a note on the form and then upload it for our reference.
Students in Brookline Public Schools: Students in Brookline Schools do not need to upload the POM CORI Verification Form to Sonia because Brookline Human Resources sends us verification of students’ CORI results each semester.
Students in Boston Schools: Students in Boston public schools need to complete the BPS eCORI.
Paid Graduate Interns/Job Related Placements: The requirements also apply to students who are paid graduate interns or are completing a job related placement
3. Fingerprint: Public School and Early Childcare Students Only
- Per MA law, all students need to fingerprint at an established IdentoGO enrollment center (see Fingerprint Instructions)
- Fingerprint Receipt: Students do not need to upload their fingerprint receipt to Sonia. Please retain a copy of your receipt and confirmation page for your records.
- More Information
For more information about Protection of Minors, please check out this Student FAQ – Protection of Minors.
SONIA is the data management system that BU uses to manage all field placements. At Wheelock, we use SONIA to keep track of placement hours.
- Sonia Online
- For a brief webinar on How to Log Hours into Sonia, click here.
- How to Log In to SONIA.
- How to Log Hours in SONIA.