Becoming a Visiting Researcher at Wheelock

Finding a Faculty Sponsor

All visiting researchers need to have a faculty sponsor who will serve as a point of contact with the department. Please look at the faculty webpages to find a possible sponsor who shares your research and study interests. Unfortunately, the department chair or staff cannot help visiting researchers find a sponsor.

If you decide to come as a visiting researcher and have obtained a faculty sponsor, allow a minimum of 3 months before your arrival date to complete the paperwork necessary for your visit. J-1 documents received less than three months before arrival will not be processed by ISSO and you will be required to amend your visit dates.

Funding a Visit

BU Wheelock College of Education & Human Development does not provide funding or paid teaching positions for visiting researchers. Visitors must have their own funding established when applying for their J-1 Visa.

For information on funding and other requirements needed to visit as a scholar, please refer to  International Students & Scholars.

Housing, Health Insurance & Student Services

Boston University and Wheelock do not provide housing for visiting researchers. Obtaining affordable housing in the Boston area can be challenging, so we advise you to have your housing arrangements in place before your arrival. For information, refer to BU Off-Campus Services.

Health insurance is required for all Massachusetts residents. For information regarding options and plans, visit the ISSO website.

Visiting researchers interested in taking classes, please visit ISSO’s On-Campus Resources.  Please note: BU Wheelock does not provide scholarships or funding for visiting researchers, including students that audit courses.