For Faculty & Staff

BU Faculty Assembly/Faculty Council: Learn more here.
BU Faculty Central: Learn more here.
BU Faculty Grievance Committee: Learn more here.
BU Faculty Handbook: Learn more here.


University Class Schedule
Final Exam Schedule
University Calendar
Academic Calendar
Holidays & Intersession Days

Faculty Staff Assistance Office

270 Bay State Road, B-30 | | 617-353-5381 | 617-683-5381
The Faculty Staff Assistance Office offers confidential conversations about any distressing or challenging topic. These may include personal or work-related issues. This service is completely free and is open to any full-time or part-time faculty or staff and to their family members as well.

Interpreting Services

If you plan a meeting or event in which the Deaf Studies Faculty or Students are invited, or there is the slightest possibility they will attend, please contact the Administrative Coordinator responsible for Interpreting Services to make a request to have an American Sign Language interpreter present. These requests should be made as early as possible, preferably two weeks in advance. A request made within 3 days of an event is considered an ‘Emergency Request’, and it may be difficult to have filled.

Office of the Provost

To learn more on the role that the Office of the Provost plays in issues such as compensation, university resources, promotion, tenure, and recruitment, go here.

BU Provost: Dr. Jean Morrison
Senior Associate Provost: Dr. Julie Sandell

Work-Related Problems and Faculty Grievance

The first step for faculty members who may be experiencing a work-related problem is to talk to those involved and attempt to reach a mutually acceptable solution. In some cases, for a wide variety of reasons, this approach does not result in a resolution of the problem.

The next step may be to approach the Office of the Dean : faculty may choose to talk with the Dean, one of the Associate Deans, or a senior administrator to resolve their work-related problem.

Another option for faculty members experiencing work-related problems is to have their problems reviewed by more than one individual. In this case, the faculty member may request that the Dean add a consideration of their issue to the agenda of the Dean’s Cabinet.

If none of these options is acceptable for the problem the faculty member is experiencing, she/he may take advantage of several BU-wide offices for this purpose:

Boston University Faculty Assembly & Faculty Council: The BU Faculty Assembly includes all faculty who are of professorial rank and have at least a quarter-time appointment. There are at least two meetings each year of the Faculty Assembly. The BU Faculty Council consists of members of the Faculty Assembly who are elected to represent their individual school or college, either as representatives or as alternates. The Faculty Council meets monthly and also sponsors committees who work on a wide variety of faculty governance issues, including work-related issues and faculty grievance.

Faculty Grievance Committee: The Faculty Grievance Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty Council of Boston University and consists entirely of members of the faculty. The grievance process provides a means to resolve disputes that have not been resolved through the normal process of reasoned discussion. The grievance process is intended to define clearly the matters that are at issue; to assure the faculty member that his/her complaint or problem has been presented to and considered by appropriate University officials and bodies; and to assure the University community that decisions involving faculty members in their relationship to the University are fully considered. You can learn more about the grievance procedure here.

Office of the Ombuds: An Ombuds is someone who investigates and helps resolve complaints. The Office of the Ombuds “is an independent, impartial, informal problem-solving resource serving faculty, staff, and students. The Office maintains strict confidentiality and provides a safe place to have off-the-record conversations on issues related to life, work, or study at Boston University.” Contact: Francine Montemurro, 19 Deerfield Street, Ste 203, 617-358-5960,