New Hub Course Proposal
Approval Flow: Program > Undergraduate Director > Department > AAC > BU General Education Committee (GEC)
Please note: If the new course will be required in an existing degree program, then the proposer must also complete a Change to an Existing Degree proposal.
1. Proposer completes the Pre-Approval Form: Develop a New Course or Revise an Existing One to begin the process.
2. Proposer prepares a comprehensive Course Syllabus. Proposer reads and reviews the BU Hub resources carefully and includes the most updated syllabus statements. (Word documents are preferred for ease in providing required or suggested track changes.)
3. Proposer completes the Course Proposal Form in Courseleaf and uploads the Course Syllabus to Courseleaf.
Please note: Proposer should click “SAVE.” Please do not click “SAVE AND SUBMIT” until the AAC approves the course.
4. Proposer downloads the Courseleaf Course Proposal Form from Courseleaf as a PDF file and submits both the Courseleaf Course Proposal Form and the Course Syllabus to the Program Director for review by the program faculty. For new undergraduate courses for the new major, submit both files to the Director of Undergraduate Program, as well. If revisions are requested by the program or by the Director of Undergraduate Program, they should be made promptly in Courseleaf and on the syllabus. When approved, proceed to the next step.
5. Program Director submits the Courseleaf Course Proposal Form and the Course Syllabus to the Department Chair for review by the department. If revisions are requested by the department, they should be made promptly in Courseleaf and on the syllabus. When approved, proceed to the next step.
6. Department Chair submits the Courseleaf Course Proposal Form and the Course Syllabus to the Academic Affairs Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If revisions are requested by the AAC, they should be made promptly in Courseleaf and on the syllabus, and both documents should be resubmitted for final approval by the AAC. When approved, the proposer should upload the final clean version of the Course Syllabus to Courseleaf.
Do not submit the syllabus with track changes. Click “SAVE and SUBMIT.”
7. BU General Education Committee reviews the proposal and communicates directly with the proposer if revisions are needed. The General Education Committee notifies the AAC Chair when the General Education Committee approves the course in Courseleaf. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs is notified via Courseleaf and submits final approval.
8. The Associate Dean’s Administrator downloads the approved proposal and syllabus from Courseleaf, files the approved syllabus, and records final approval on a spreadsheet shared with Wheelock’s Director of Data & Enrollment Management/Registrar.
9. Proposer completes the Submission Form: Submit your Approved Course Syllabus for Payment.
Note: AAC Meeting Schedule
- Learning Outcomes
- Guide for Proposers of courses seeking Hub Curriculum Committee Approval
- GEC Interpretive Documents
- Syllabi Statements required by Wheelock