Freshman Rep. Himes Learns Ins and Outs of Congress

in Caroline Bridges, Connecticut, Spring 2009 Newswire, Tait Militana
January 29th, 2009

art7-combined

Photos by Caroline Bridges

TRANSITION
Norwalk Hour
Tait Militana
Boston University Washington News Service
1/29/09

WASHINGTON – For many first-time members of Congress, the trials of starting their new jobs include finding their way around the Capitol, meeting other members and learning the ins and outs of Washington.

For Rep. Jim Himes, D-4, the first weeks also included dealing with unprecedented inauguration crowds and fixing the heat in his office.

He said he is still figuring out some of the basic stuff about Congress.

“I can get to the floor, no problem,” Himes said. “I can get to the gym, no problem. I know a couple of places where I know I can be fed. You ask me to get to anything a lot more esoteric than that and it’s a little slow.”

Taking the failing economy as his primary issue, Himes, 42, defeated incumbent Republican Chris Shays in November. The day after the election he began working on his transition to Washington. Yet this transition proved to be a challenge.

Himes started his career in Congress during one of the most historic events in politics. With almost 2 million people descending on the city to witness the inauguration of President Barack Obama, thousands of constituents looking for tickets and dozens of reporters nagging his incomplete staff, Himes said things have been hectic in his first few weeks as a representative.

“It’s been really busy,” Himes said. “The inauguration took all of the air out of the room.”

Himes also moved into his new office on Capitol Hill without a functioning heating system and during one of the coldest weeks of the year. Nonetheless, Himes has taken it all in stride. He said what really makes Congress tick is its members.

“The action of this place doesn’t really depend on the statues, the offices or the halls,” Himes said. “It’s about sitting down with people, thinking hard and making good decisions.”

Caitlin Donohue, a congressional assistant, said though Himes still may get lost, he is a hard worker and is always prepared for the next problem.

“Jim has adapted to the new challenges quickly,” Donohue said.

Earlier this week, Himes, who is on the Financial Services Committee, was appointed to two subcommittees: the Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance and Government-Sponsored Enterprises and the Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity, which oversee the securities, banking and housing industries.

Himes, who worked at the global investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc. before running for office, said though his history in business should help him on the committee, the way things are done in politics is completely different from the business world’s methods. He said he was surprised by how important seniority is in the day-to-day happenings of Congress.

“The protocol and hierarchy are odd to me,” Himes said, describing the realities of seniority that “I came head to head with when I got to wait three hours to ask a question in a hearing.”

During Himes’ first week on Capitol Hill, he attended various social activities for new members and was able to speak to a lot of his new colleagues. One of the most powerful moments for him, he said, was walking through the Capitol for the first time and seeing the statues of Daniel Webster, Thomas Jefferson and of all the great politicians of the past.

“I had two sensations,” Himes said. “One was where we are today is really tough, but we’ve been in tougher straits before and we got through it. Two, boy the bar is pretty high.”

According to Himes, his biggest worry in the coming months is being a good husband and dad. He said he does not plan on moving his family to Washington.

“I’m regularly 200 miles away,” Himes said. “But as motivated as I am to be a public servant at this very important time, I’m fundamentally committed to being a good dad.”

Despite the challenges of the first few weeks and those that surely lay ahead, Don Carlson, Himes’ campaign chief of staff, said, Himes’ perseverance is one of the qualities that makes him so successful.

“He’s the most persistent guy I’ve ever met,” Carlson said. “He doesn’t know how to quit. He’ll make it work.”

####