Research through UROP is defined as any scientific or scholarly activity that contributes to the production of new knowledge. UROP offers students funding in the form of stipends, supplies, and travel for conducting research with a faculty member. However, UROP funding is not the only avenue for getting involved in research. You can conduct research as a volunteer, for academic credit, as a mentor-funded assistant, or through work-study funding. If you are just starting out, typically you will not be required to come up with your own project. Instead, you will find yourself working on an ongoing project designed by your faculty mentor.

Find a professor and maybe even a research award.

All research must take place under the guidance of a BU faculty mentor, so your experience starts with finding the appropriate faculty member and the project that best fits your needs.

  • FIND

    a faculty mentor

  • ASK

    mentor for letter of recommendation


    between academic credit or funding


    for funding if eligible