COVID-19 Prevention & Testing for Students
For help with using Student Patient Connect, please review these resources. Both the video tutorial and text guide below cover how to access and use Student Patient Connect to submit symptom surveys, and manage your COVID-19 testing.
Video Tutorial: How to Use Student Patient Connect
How to Use Student Patient Connect
This guide covers the major processes students will need to follow in Patient Connect, including:
- Accessing Patient Connect
- Reviewing your status
- Completing your Symptom Screening Survey
- Scheduling a COVID-19 test appointment
- Viewing test results
- Requesting and accessing the printable Lab Result Report
- Uploading COVID-19 vaccination documentation
- Request vaccination exemption
Compliance with these processes is required by Boston University.
- To access Patient Connect, you can:
- Enter your BU credentials
- You will land on the homepage:
There are five statuses that could appear, which are based on your category, daily Symptom Screening survey and your test results. They are:
Cleared: you have no symptoms and are cleared to go to campus – indicated with green badge
Overdue : you have not filled out your daily survey – indicated with yellow badge
Isolation : you have tested positive for COVID-19; a provider will contact you – indicated with red badge after you have been contacted
Quarantine : you have reported possible COVID-19 symptoms, or you have been in close proximity to a person who has tested positive; a provider will contact you – indicated with orange badge
NA: you are a category 4 off campus student, so there are no testing or screening requirements – indicated with a blue badge
Your status will display at the top of your homepage. To view your most recent badge, click on Show Badge:
Symptom Screening Survey
Please complete your Symptom Screening survey every day. Your status and badge will reflect an Overdue status if the survey is not completed.
- To fill out your survey, select Complete Survey on the homepage:
- To move through the survey, click Continue . The questionnaire you receive may vary depending on your quarantine status:
- To respond to a question, simply click on the box with your answer. Look for the small check mark to confirm that you have responded:
- When finished, click Continue to submit
When it’s time to schedule a test, you will receive an email and a text (if set up) reminding you.
- On the homepage, expand the menu in the top left corner and select Appointments,
then click the Schedule an appointment button
- Choose the bolded COVID-19 appointment reason and click Continue:
- Please read the Commitments and Expectations Agreement. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and select I agree and Continue to move on:
- Please read the remaining authorization for testing. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Continue and proceed to schedule testing, then click Continue:
- You then will be asked if you have any symptoms; please respond accordingly:
If you DO NOT have symptoms, you will be asked if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 90 days, and to confirm your contact information. Then:
- Once you’ve selected your date and time, click Continue.
- Please review your selected date and time. To confirm this appointment, select Schedule. To select a different time, select Retry:
- You will receive a confirmation page with the appointment details and the barcode
you’ll need to display at your appointment:
- On the Appointments page, you will see the confirmed appointment. You can also retrieve the barcode here by clicking Show Barcode :
If you report that you DO have symptoms, you will be required to answer a screening questionnaire that will be sent to a provider. They will contact you to schedule a COVID-19 test at the proper location.
Once your testing results are available, you will receive an email informing you. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, or the test is inconclusive, a provider will contact you.
- On the homepage, expand the menu in the top left corner and select Medical Record History
- Review your test results:
A positive result will display in red:
- To request the printable Lab Result Report with more detail, you can access this by visiting the Messages menu, and then choosing New Message:
- Select the COVID-19 message option, then the Request for COVID-19 Lab Result Report
reason, and continue:
- Enter the Date of Testing , Date of Result , and Result type, then Send:
- To access and print the report, select the Letters menu:
- Select View to access the printable Lab Result Report. Any unread letters will display the NEW icon.
- The printable Lab Result Report will include the date of the test, date of the result, test result, type of test, your name, and DOB:
Uploading Vaccine Documentation
If you have received your COVID-19 vaccine outside of BU’s vaccination clinic, you can upload your vaccination documentation via Patient Connect.
Before you begin, you’ll want to take a photo or scan in your vaccination documentation, typically this is the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. Please ensure that the administered dates are clearly visible. BU is requiring the COVID vaccine for all students for the Fall 2021 semester. Please upload your information as soon as you receive your first dose of Moderna or Pfizer or if you receive a single-dose vaccine. You will then be required to upload your completed vaccine card when you receive it. One dose of a two-dose series will grant you temporary compliance until you receive your second dose.
Individually identifiable health information you share with us will be confidential, and will not be shared.
NOTE: If you are unable to obtain a vaccine before arriving on campus, choose I request an extension to be able to receive my COVID vaccine once I arrive in Boston from the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) message options.
- Click the Medical Clearances menu option:
- Click Update in the COVID clearance row:
- Upload an image of your COVID-19 vaccine documentation, ensuring that the administered dates are clearly visible. Enter each appointment date, indicate the vaccine manufacturer, and click Done:
Submit Vaccination Exemption
If you need to request exemption from the requirement to received COVID-19 vaccination based on medical or religious grounds you can do so in Patient Connect.
- Click the Messages menu option, then click New Message:
- Select the COVID-19 message option, then the COVID-19 Vaccine Exemption reason, and continue:
- Select the reason you are requesting vaccination exemption, then check the acknowledgement box, and click Send.
For help, please email email@example.com