Making the Most of Working from Home

By Ryan Pagois, BU Sustainability intern

Ryan Pagois

My time as the Green Office Certification intern for BU Sustainability has taught me so much about workplace sustainability. During COVID-19, I’ve missed the engaging conversations I’ve had with so many staff members as I certify green offices and departments across BU’s campuses. I’ve been reflecting on what I’ve learned and have expand my own sustainability efforts outside of the office. Typical topics I cover in my certifications range from cutting down on printing, unplugging unused personal devices, and taking notes electronically or on scrap paper. However, this year presented new and exciting opportunities for sustainability at home, both for our work spaces and day-to-day practices.

Taking additional steps to integrate sustainability into your home office can be fun, creative and easy. Take note of off-peak times throughout the day with resources such as Shave the Peak to reduce electricity use from plug-in devices. When keeping your space sanitary, purchase certified (Ecologo or Green Seal) green cleaning supplies. Surround your work space with plants and natural light to distract from long days stuck indoors (and if you ask me, plants make great coworkers).

After the work day ends, spending more time at home has provided a great opportunity to cut down on waste, particularly single-use plastic utensils and containers. The best place to start is using what you already have before buying new, whether it’s ingredients, soaps and shampoos, or craft supplies. Cooking at home, buying in bulk, and skipping the utensils when ordering takeout are also great options. And if you find yourself doing more cooking, there are plenty of fun vegetarian recipes to try that pack tons of flavor and nutrients. Expanding my palate to include new dishes and proteins has been one of my highlights from quarantine living. I’ve found some of my favorite recipes here. It’s fun to play around with recipes and try substitutions to make sure you’re using what’s already in your fridge.

For any food waste you generate, composting is an easy and effective way to put your food scraps to good use. Whether you compost at home or use a pick-up service, it’s a great option to divert waste! Some more composting dos and don’ts can be found on the US Environmental Protection Agency website. Getting creative with your food waste can take many forms; you can even use your leftover black coffee to “water” plants that prefer acidic soil (one of my favorite tips).

Giving products another life doesn’t end with composting. Buying secondhand clothing and furniture has saved me money and reduced my carbon footprint when making purchases (I love Facebook Marketplace, but you can also join your local “Buy Nothing” group on Facebook). Compiling used takeout containers to store leftovers takes the place of a new Tupperware set. When looking for new hobbies this summer, I learned how to make candles out of used beverage cans. Sustainability is more than just a buzzword, and can lead to fun finds, like Patagonia quarter zips for $10 or a personalized set of candles that makes a new apartment feel more like home.

For those items you can’t reuse, make sure you are recycling smartly! Take note of which materials and products are recyclable, and save those batteries, lightbulbs and electronics to take to your local recycling center. If you live in Boston, check out the City’s Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days where you can get rid of electronics, textiles, batteries, and more.

There are many other steps you can take, such as switching to green electricity, enrolling in “ugly produce” services to help reduce food waste, and buying from local farmers through community supported agriculture. Whether you use some of these tips or find your own way to incorporate sustainability into your home routine, individual efforts can have a huge impact. Get creative and find what works best for you; and please feel free to reach out to me at greenoffice@bu.edu with any questions or ideas.

Boston University does not endorse any organization, product, or service described on this page.