High School Honors

Choosing Your Summer College Courses

We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions about which summer college courses to choose or if you are not sure about what you are best prepared to take. We have a lot of experience and we can recommend a combination that will be interesting, fun, and useful to you when you get to college.

Below is a list of tips we put together to help you select your summer college courses:

  • This summer we are offering several online courses. The online status is noted in the course description.
  • High School Honors course requirements:
    • Residential students take two courses.
      • At least one of the courses must meet on campus.
      • Residential students interested in the lab sciences may petition to take only one course. Contact our office with any questions.
    • Commuter students can opt to enroll in either one or two courses for a minimum of 4 credits.
    • International students are required to enroll in two courses for 8 credits.
  • All of the courses listed on the High School Honors course selection page have been approved for high school students. Some of these courses (e.g. more advanced science courses) also require departmental approval. Please contact our office if you have any questions about your eligibility to take a course.
  • 100-200 level courses are your best option. They are the most likely to help you complete your freshman year course requirements or get ahead on college major prerequisites. Courses at the 300-level and higher are college junior level and up. A few 300-level or higher courses may be appropriate for you. If you want to take one of these courses, please contact us and we can discuss your options.
  • Remember that summer courses are intensive, as the session is only six weeks long. We suggest planning a balanced schedule one academically challenging course and another course with which you may already have some experience. We will review your courses when you register and contact you if we think you might be headed for an overly stressful summer.
  • All Summer Term courses are assigned a college and departmental code, a three-digit course number, and a section identifier. For example, CAS EC101S B1 means that the course is offered in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) by the Economics Department (EC). The course number 101 indicates it is an introductory course, the S indicates it is a summer course, and section B1 indicates it is offered in Summer 2. Please see Course Numbers for further information on the numbering system. Discussion sections or labs can be numbered B2 or B3. Please note: If a course has multiple sections such as a lecture and a lab, you must list both sections on the registration form. When a course has an IND descriptor after the section identifier, this indicates that there are no additional course components.
  • Do not sign up for a course if it has prerequisites that you have not taken. This is especially true for science courses. For example, Calculus II requires Calculus I. If you think you meet the prerequisites for a course based on AP coursework, please contact our office to confirm.
  • Do not sign up for a course that you will take in high school for AP credit since you will not be able to transfer credits from two of the same courses to a future college. For example, if you will be taking AP Biology, then do not take Biology I.
  • Make sure that your courses do not meet at concurrent times.
  • If possible, avoid taking more than one evening course. They may conflict with our evening activities.
  • Keep an open mind. If you cannot find exactly what you want, or if you have trouble with scheduling conflicts, think about trying a course that will offer a different experience. Now is the time to try out a subject not offered in high school (or a subject you may think you will never find interesting). You may discover that you love philosophy!
  • Please remember that your final grades go on your official Boston University transcript and count towards your GPA if you attend Boston University for college. These grades are permanent and cannot be removed from your academic transcript.
  • Most colleges and universities accept Boston University transfer credits, but you should consult each individual institution to confirm that this is the case.
  • Courses can be switched during the first week of class (until Friday, July 7). There are set hours during the first week of classes when you can consult the program staff about changing courses.