How to Apply
Please check back on December 15 for more details about our Summer 2018 programs and to submit an application.
We consider academically motivated applicants who are entering their junior or senior year of high school in fall 2018. Qualified juniors need to be in Honors and/or AP courses and have taken a PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PreACT standardized test to be considered. Admission decisions take into account the applicant's high school grades, rigor of courses taken, standardized test scores, a personal statement, and two letters of recommendation.
English is the language of instruction at Boston University and a high degree of competency is assumed. International students need to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent exam. Our program requires students to have minimum English proficiency levels equivalent to:
- 84 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
How to Apply
Complete online application.
- Personal Statement: When using the online application, you will be required to submit a 500-750 word personal statement describing why you want to attend the High School Honors Program.
- Two Recommendation Letters: You will also be required to enter the email addresses for two people who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. One recommendation should be from an academic teacher and the other recommendation should be from your guidance counselor. Once you submit your online application, instructions for submitting recommendation letters will be emailed automatically to your teacher and guidance counselor.
- Application fee: A non-refundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application form.
Upload supplementary materials (you will receive an upload link via email):
- High School transcript: Be sure to include your fall 2017 grades (in a quarter system, this includes first and second quarter grades).
- Standardized test scores: All students are required to submit PSAT, SAT, PreACT, or ACT scores. Please upload an unofficial copy of these scores (a screenshot is fine). We will not receive them if you send it through the testing agency. Please note that your name should be visible on your scores.
- International documents: International students must upload additional forms with their application in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. We will not review an international application without these documents. We also require proof of English language proficiency, such as scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or an equivalent exam.
- Fax or mail financial documents (financial aid applicants only)
- Financial aid documents: If applying for financial aid, relevant supplementary materials must be faxed or sent by post (fax preferred). Do not email or upload these materials. For more information, please visit our Tuition, Fees, & Aid page.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the application and admission process. Please ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application. Inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
High School Honors Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room B05
Boston, MA 02215
For those students applying for financial aid, applications are not considered complete until financial aid documents have been received. Admission decisions are made without regard to financial aid requests.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and only applications with all of the required materials are reviewed. We will email you once we have received your completed application. We begin reviewing applications at the beginning of January. Please allow three weeks after we have received your completed application for a decision to be made and emailed to you.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.