How to Apply
We consider academically motivated applicants who are entering their junior or senior year of high school in fall 2016. Qualified juniors need to be in Honors and/or AP courses and have taken a PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PLAN standardized test to be considered. Admission is based on a combination of high school grades, rigor of courses taken, standardized test scores, a personal statement, and two letters of recommendation.
English is the language of instruction at Boston University and a high degree of competency is assumed. International students need to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent exam. Our program requires the following minimum scores:
- 84 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
How to Apply
- Complete online application.
- When using the online application, you will be required to submit a 500 - 750 word personal statement describing why you want to attend the High School Honors Program.
- Submit the application fee: A $50 non-refundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application form.
- Email (preferred), mail, or fax:
- An official copy of your complete high school transcript including your fall 2015 grades.
- A copy of your most recent PSAT, SAT, PLAN, or ACT scores. Please email (preferred), fax, or mail a copy of your scores directly to our office. We will not receive them if you send it through the testing agency. Please note that your name should be visible on your scores.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from an academic teacher and one from a guidance counselor.
- International students must submit additional forms with their application in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. We will not review an international application without these documents. We also require proof of English language proficiency, such as scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or an equivalent exam.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the application and admission process. Please ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application. Inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
High School Honors Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room B05
Boston, MA 02215
The application deadline for the High School Honors Program is May 23, 2016. Applicants applying for financial aid need to submit their completed applications by April 18, 2016. For those students applying for financial aid, applications are not considered complete until financial aid documents have been submitted. Admission decisions are made without regard to financial aid consideration.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and only applications with all of the required materials are reviewed. We will email you once we have received your completed application. We begin reviewing applications at the beginning of January. Please allow three weeks after we have received your completed application for a decision to be made and emailed to you.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.