What to Bring
Congratulations on being accepted to Boston University's Summer Term High School Programs! For those of you who will be staying on campus, we have prepared a list of furnishings in each dorm room as well as a list of what you should bring with you to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible.
In order to get your Boston University Terrier ID, you will need:
- A government issued photo ID (passport, driver's license, or driver's permit)
- High school photo ID card AND birth certificate
Photocopies are accepted if you do not want to bring the originals. Note: international students must have originals.
In each dorm room, you will find:
- A dresser for each student
- A desk and chair for each student
- A bed frame and mattress for each student
- A closet or wardrobe for each student
What you should bring:
- Items for class - All students should bring a notebook and writing implements for their seminars. Students enrolled in the Summer Challenge Photography seminar should also bring a DSLR camera with manual features, along with an SD media card (32 GB or more) and an external hard drive for a Mac.
- Fans - Rooms are not air-conditioned and get very warm during the summer.
- Linens - Bring your own sheets, blankets, towels, and pillows. The beds in the dorm are all sized twin extra-long (80 inches long).
- Personal items - We recommend flip-flops for showering along with a shower caddy to carry your toiletries to the bathroom. Sunblock is very important for our outdoor activities. Personal hygiene items can be purchased at stores on campus.
- Hangers for your clothes.
- Other appliances - You may also want to bring a desk lamp and an alarm clock. Note: hot pots, microwaves, and air conditioners are not allowed in the dorm. Items like blow dryers and curling irons are permitted. Microfridges (combined microwave and refrigerator units) are available for rent from BU (rental forms are available at check-in).
- Phone and Internet - There is no in-room telephone service, so we recommend that you bring a cell phone. Computers are available on campus. If you choose to bring your own computer, wireless internet access is available in the dorm and across the entire campus. You might consider bringing a lock for your laptop.
- You may also need an umbrella and rain gear, laundry bag and laundry detergent, water bottle, and a flash drive for your assignments.
Note: students who do not bring a working cell phone must be with another student who has a working phone any time they travel off campus. We strongly encourage international students to bring a cell phone that operates in the United States.
Dress is casual. Please bring a pair of sneakers/walking shoes and if your schedule includes a trip to the theater, an appropriate outfit. If you will be working in a laboratory, bring appropriate lab attire, such as closed toe shoes and long pants/skirt. The RISE Poster Symposium requires business-casual attire.