AIM: How to Apply
If you are entering your junior or senior year of high school in fall 2023, we welcome your application. Admission decisions take into consideration your high school grades, personal statement, and one letter of recommendation from a teacher.
English is the language of instruction at Boston University, and a high degree of competency is assumed. International students need to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent exam. You need to have minimum English proficiency levels equivalent to:
- 84–90 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
If you are not able to obtain a TOEFL or IELTS score, you may submit a Duolingo score this year. AIM students are expected to score above a 105 on the Duolingo test.
- Complete the online application. The following items are required to complete the online application. Please use the below information to prepare your application ahead of time if necessary, as applications cannot be saved and finished later.
- Personal statement: You will be required to submit a personal statement of 500–750 words describing why you want to attend the Academic Immersion (AIM) program.
- One recommendation: You will also be required to enter the email address for a teacher who will submit a recommendation on your behalf. Experimental Psychology and Medicine applicants should request a recommendation from a science teacher, while Creative Writing applicants should request a recommendation from a humanities teacher. Once you submit your online application, instructions for submitting a recommendation will be emailed automatically to your recommender.
- Application fee: A $50 nonrefundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application.
- Upload supplemental materials (you will receive an upload link via email).
- High school transcript: Your full high school transcript must include your fall 2022 grades, (in a quarter system, this includes first and second quarter grades).
- Writing sample: Creative Writing applicants will need to submit a short (< 500 words) sample of their original creative writing.
- International documents: International students must upload an additional form and a copy of your passport with the application. We also require proof of English language proficiency, such as scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.
Applications are only reviewed after all of the materials listed above are received.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the admissions process. Please be aware that parents or guardians are copied on all correspondence from our office. Therefore, you should ensure that both parent or guardian and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application, and inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
Academic Immersion Program
200 Riverway, Suite B14
Boston, MA 02215
There is no application deadline for the 2023 Academic Immersion (AIM) program. However, we encourage you to submit a complete application as early as possible, as there are a limited number of places in each track, and we will close the application when the program is filled.
Only complete applications are reviewed. Once we receive your complete application, we will email you to confirm its receipt. Within one month of confirming our receipt of your completed application, an admissions decision will be emailed to you.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.