Interfaith Center Director, Part-Time, UCC: Weston, MA
Announcement of Job Opportunity as Interfaith Center Director
Interfaith Center for Worship, Learning, and Service
130 Newton Street, Weston MA
Who we are looking for:
The Interfaith Center for Worship, Learning, and Service is seeking an organized people-person who is interested in interfaith relationships and dialogue. Excellent candidates will have some personal, academic, and/or professional experience in interfaith settings.
Who we are:
The Interfaith Center for Worship and Learning is a worship space located at 130 Newton Street in Weston, Massachusetts. The Center is owned by the Congregational Church of Weston (CCW), a congregation of the United Church of Christ, which functions as the host congregation for all activities that take place within the Center. CCW views its mission as creating a wide and deep welcome for all people, including our neighbors and community members of many faith traditions. There are currently six worshipping communities of different faith traditions and religions regularly using the Center’s spaces, and we are seeking to grow.
The Center Director will be responsible for the functioning of the Center and the interactions between renters/potential renters and the Center. The position is anticipated to be a part-time hybrid position (~15 hours/wk). Some time each week will be spent at 130 Newton Street, where the Center is located, while other responsibilities can be performed remotely or in Weston and the surrounding communities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Interpersonal and strategic
- Building relationships with the leaders of the congregations worshiping at the Center, including chairing a steering committee composed of individuals from each of the congregations. This committee will develop recommendations for ways the Center can be more compatible with and welcoming to groups with varying traditions and worship styles, and ways the various congregations can work amicably together.
- Interfacing with and participating in relevant community groups already promoting interfaith understanding within Metro-west, such as the Weston Wayland Interfaith Action Group.
- Performing market research activities to understand what needs area religious communities have for regular or occasional places to hold services, including gathering information about other interfaith centers, how they function, and who they serve.
- Developing and distributing promotional materials for the Center and its resources to faith communities and interfaith organizations within Metro-west.
- Managing the calendar and facilities usage for the Center, including interacting with renters about their usage of various gathering spaces and updating the online calendar as appropriate. When scheduling conflicts arise, the administrator will be responsible for resolving the conflict equitably. The Director will also manage the scheduling of renters from non-religious organizations, such as community groups, educational and social service groups, and musical groups.
- Co-creating, managing, and communicating equitable policies and rental fees for the use of Center space, including working with CCW leadership to establish these policies, and publishing and distributing them to existing renters and prospective groups wishing to use the space.
- Recommending upgrades or enhancements to the building to make it function more efficiently as an interfaith worship space, working with the CCW Church Council to implement approved recommendations.
- Researching and applying to grants for the continuation of the Center and its Mission, working with CCW leadership when appropriate.
The Director will be responsible to the Senior Pastor of the host church, but the anticipated primary contact will be through the second-year Pastoral Resident, who functions as pastor for the host UCC congregation worshiping at the Center.
Compensation will be between $25 and $30 per hour, based on job qualifications and will be set by the Human Resources/Personnel Committee of the host church.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a letter of interest, addressing what gifts and skills you could bring to this work to firstname.lastname@example.org. We expect to begin interviews in January.