Children’s Faith Formation Teacher, Part-Time, Baptist: Newton, MA
First Baptist Church in Newton is a welcoming and affirming congregation affiliated with the American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts and the Alliance of Baptists. The Children’s Faith Formation Teacher serves as a Christian role model that guides children in their Christian faith development. The Children’s Faith Formation Teacher teaches a class of multi-age children each Sunday morning as scheduled, in accordance with the mission and vision of the congregation, and the goals, objectives, and policies established by the pastors and church leadership.
Specific Responsibilities and Expectations
• Implement designated lesson plans for the children as determined by the Pastor of Faith Formation and the Arts.
• Prepare for the session early in the week in order to have time for personal reflection on the scripture focus, ask questions, and acquire the materials needed.
• Understand that the children will remember the relationships formed in the classroom far longer than the content presented and experienced, and cultivate an atmosphere of belonging and belovedness.
• Arrive by 9:30 in order to allow enough time to set up the classroom, gather supplies, and warmly greet the children as they arrive. Stay until 12:00 to finish the lesson, clean up, and spend time with families during fellowship hour.
• Incorporate volunteers for classroom activities.
• Adhere to all safe conduct policies established by this congregation’s leadership.
• Learn the name of each child as quickly as possible.
• Establish and nurture a Christian community of welcome, care, and covenantal cooperation in the classroom.
• Oversee regular leadership opportunities for the children in worship, in cooperation with the pastoral staff.
• Monitor classroom supplies and materials alert the Pastor of Faith Formation and the Arts to items needed.
• Include the children in your prayers.
• Share your passion for teaching and your love of God with the children!
Reports to: Pastor of Faith Formation and the Arts and Senior Minister
Work Schedule and Time Requirement: Sunday mornings, September to June each year. 5 hours per week including preparation time and Sunday morning responsibilities.
Skills and Qualifications
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience working with children and youth.
• Commitment to the Christian faith
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Understanding of the basic Bible stories
• Must be available Sunday mornings
• Commitment to inclusive and expansive theology
Optional Skills and Experience
• Teaching experience
• Visual arts
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to Rev. Daryn Stylianopoulos, Pastor of Faith Formation and the Arts, email@example.com.