Faculty of the Biblical Institute, 1839-46
On April 24, 1839 a group of Methodists met in Boston, and laid plans for a school that would eventually be identified as the School of Theology. Its first incarnation appeared in Newbury, Vermont. The Biblical Institute in Newbury was a secondary, or preparatory school. Although each of the New England conferences were to support the fledgling school, few in fact were able to provide money or leadership. The initial faculty consisted of Osmon C. Baker, who taught theology, and W.M. Willett who offered instruction in Hebrew, New Testament Greek, and Biblical Literature.