Tax Information for International Students
If Your Country Has a Tax Treaty with the U.S.
If you are an international student working on campus, contact the Main Payroll Office to find out if your income is eligible for any tax treaty benefit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your email, please include your:
First and Last Name
University ID number
Country of Citizenship
In order to qualify for a tax treaty, you must:
- Currently be hired to work on BU’s campus; and
- Have a social security number
Please allow up to two (2) business days for a response to your email.
The Payroll Office will email you with information to set up a virtual appointment to complete your tax treaty.
If Your Country Does Not Have a Tax Treaty with the U.S.
Complete Form W-4.
- You must complete Step 1, if you do not have a social security number you should write applied for in that field.
- Enter NRA (a tax term which stands for “Non-Resident Alien”) under line 4C.
International students from Canada, Mexico, India, or Korea, or who have been present in the United States for more than 5 1/2 years, may claim as a resident for tax purposes.
Other Required Tax Forms
Each year, you must file a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ tax return and Form 8843 with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). These forms are available on the IRS website or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676.
You may also be required to file a Massachusetts Income Tax Form with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). Consult the DOR website to determine your filing responsibilities. Forms are available on the DOR website or by calling 1-800-392-6089.
Additional Tax Information
See the ISSO website for more information on filing requirements.
The IRS also has publications available to assist you with your tax status:
- Publication 515: Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens
- Publication 901: United States Tax Treaties
- Publication 597: United States-Canada Tax Treaty
- Publication 519: United States Tax Guide