International Taxation Set-Up

Depending on a student employee’s country of origin, you may be eligible to sign a tax treaty. Otherwise, international students are asked to fill out and submit a Form W-4 to our office. Please read the following thoroughly before submitting or filling out any forms.

Tax Treaty Information

Students from countries that have tax treaties with the United States may be eligible to exempt a portion of their earnings from taxes. If you are an international student working on campus, email Payroll to find out if your income is eligible for any tax treaty benefit.

In your email, please include your:

First and Last Name
University ID number
Country of Citizenship

In order to qualify for a tax treaty, you must:

  • Currently be hired to work on BU’s campus; and
  • Have a social security number

Please allow up to two (2) business days for a response to your email.