Sargent Choice Test Kitchen: White Bean, Zucchini & Parmesan Salad
Sargent Choice White Bean, Zucchini & Parmesan Salad
September 13, 2022
Patricia Isabel Orus Deya, Nutrition Major
Recipes modified from Martha Stewart
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 zucchinis, trimmed, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese, crumbled or shaved
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Ground pepper; salt to taste
- Serve with a grain/starch of choice, such as farro, crispy French bread, potatoes, brown rice or whole wheat pasta!
- Prepare brown rice as directed with 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- While rice is standing, stir together vinegar and remaining teaspoon soy sauce.
- Transfer rice to a wide, nonmetal bowl and sprinkle with vinegar mixture. Toss gently with a large spoon to combine. Cool rice, tossing occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir together wasabi and teaspoon of water to form a stiff paste. Let stand for at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Arrange 1 sheet of nori shiny side down on a sushi mat lengthwise. With damp fingers, gently press half the rice onto the nori with a 1 ¾–inch border on the farthest edge.
- Starting 1-inch from the side nearest you, arrange half the cucumber matchsticks, carrot matchsticks, avocado slices, and tofu pieces in an even strip horizontally across the rice (You may need to cut pieces to fit). Repeat with half the radish sprouts, letting some sprout tops extend beyond the edge.
- Roll the bottom edge of the mat toward the top edge while holding the filling in place and pressing firmly. Continue rolling to the top and press firmly to seal the roll. Let stand for 5 minutes with the seam down and cut crosswise into 6 pieces with a wet knife.
- Repeat steps 5-7 with the second sheet of nori.
What We Liked
- This was an easy, fun, and nutritious recipe.
- The combination of ingredients was delicious and refreshing.
- The salad was very colorful!
- It can be enjoyed as a filling dish or also be served as a snack.
- Consider adding whole grains to the salad to provide energy and help make the dish more satisfying and filling.
- Consider adding spices, such as chili flakes, to add some heat to the salad.
- You can use scissors to cut the basil.
- White beans contain fiber and protein, which helps to fill us up and keep us full. Beans also provide vitamins and minerals such as folate, magnesium and vitamin B6 to support overall health.
- Zucchini squash is a versatile vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals, and helps to fill us up with fiber and water.