Mia Sugarman, SAR Dietetics ‘22
Sargent Choice Super Bowl Sweet Potato Bites
Recipe modified from theroastedroot
Yield: approx 24 bites
1 large sweet potato sliced into ¼ inch rounds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
4 teaspoons honey
Salt to taste
1 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped (optional)
¾ cup sliced red pears or dried cranberries
- Mix herbed ricotta ingredients into a small bowl until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice sweet potato into rounds and add to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with vegetable oil. Sprinkle ground cinnamon over rounds (add sea salt if desired). Use your hands to rub the oil and seasoning on both sides of the sweet potato rounds.
- Arrange rounds on a large baking sheet (or two if necessary). Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the rounds, then bake for another 17 to 20 minutes, or until rounds are cooked through and crispy on the edges.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet. 10 minutes before the potato rounds are finished cooking, place the walnuts in the oven to roast.
- Remove sweet potato rounds and walnuts from the oven. Place walnuts on a cutting board and chop.
- Place the oven on a high broil setting and move the oven rack second to the top shelf.
- Place a dollop of herbed ricotta on each sweet potato round and place in the oven for 2 minutes, just until the ricotta is melty and warm.
Sargent Choice Super Bowl Sweet Potato and Avocado Bites
Recipe modified from blissfulbasil
Yield: 20-25 rounds
2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large avocado, pitted
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
Cherry tomatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch-thick rounds
½ cup herbs, sprouts, or microgreens
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes, cumin, paprika, olive oil to a bowl. Toss to coat.
- Spread the sweet potato slices out into a single layer on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the rounds, then bake for another 17 to 20 minutes, or until rounds are cooked through and crispy on the edges.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and mash together with the back of a fork.
- Spread the sweet potato slices out of a serving platter or tray. Top each slice with a dollop of smashed avocado, one tomato slice, and a sprinkling of herbs/microgreens.
What we liked:
- You can enjoy this recipe all year, as a snack, part of a meal, or at a gathering… not just on Super Bowl Sunday!
- The bites can be modified to be sweet or savory, and can be made vegan-friendly by substituting a plant-based cheese or yogurt.
- Cooking can be done in batches to save time or serve a crowd, and can be served warm or cold.
- Cook the sweet potatoes rounds in the microwave to make this recipe dorm friendly.
- When cooking the sweet potatoes in the oven, leave extra time to cook to desired crispy texture.
- Experiment with different seasonings depending on your favorite flavors.
- Add the ricotta cheese on the sweet potatoes right before your are ready to eat to optimize freshness and texture.
- Sweet potatoes provide fiber, energy and are packed with nutrients.
- The vegetable oil, walnuts and avocados are a good source of heart-healthy unsaturated fat.
- The ricotta cheese is a good source of protein and calcium.
- Tomatoes and cranberries provide flavor, a variety of nutrients and filling power.