Mia Sugarman, SAR Dietetics ’22
Patricia Orus-Deya, SAR Dietetics ’23
Recipe modified from Budget Bytes
Yield: 2 Servings
8 oz pasta
1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 pinch nutmeg 1 pinch chili powder
1 dash cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin boiling a large pot of water for your pasta. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and boil until al dente (7-10 minutes). Add frozen peas in the last 3 minutes to boil with the pasta. Drain in a colander.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. Mince two cloves of garlic and add them to a large skillet with one tablespoon of butter. Sauté over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or just until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
3. Add the pumpkin purée and vegetable broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Add the nutmeg, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and some black pepper. Stir in the spices and let the sauce simmer over medium-low heat while the pasta cooks (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
4. Once the pasta is finished cooking and is draining in a colander, add the yogurt to the skillet and stir it into the pumpkin sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed (this will depend on the type of broth you use). Finally, stir the drained pasta into the sauce and serve.
What we liked:
– We liked the creamy texture of the pasta dish.
– It contained protein, carbohydrates, and fats so it was a balanced meal.
– We liked that it contained plenty of vitamins and minerals from all the vegetables.
– This was a lovely seasonal dish and the pumpkins tasted extremely fresh and perfect for fall.
– The preparation was quick and easy.
– Many of the ingredients could be stored for a long time.
– Add more pumpkin to give the dish a creamier texture.
– Switch the protein according to your preference – try chicken or tofu!
– Instead of using canned pumpkin, you can use fresh homemade pureed pumpkin.
– Pasta is a great source of carbohydrates.
– Pumpkin contains vitamin C and vitamin A. It is also high in antioxidants.