Applying for Financial Aid

Beyond our scholarships, federal aid is a common source of funding for graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. Several types of federal aid are available from Boston University through the U.S. Department of Education. These include:

To be eligible for federal aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled in a graduate degree program at Sargent College. (In a five- or six-year program, you are considered an undergraduate student for your first four years, or eight full-time semesters. You become a graduate student at the start of your fifth year after receiving your undergraduate degree.)
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment (6+ credits)

How to Apply

To apply for federal aid, please follow the appropriate instructions below:

Additional loan information that may be relevant for all graduate students can be found below:


Review our FAQs or contact Janet Turner, Assistant Director of Graduate Financial Aid. Janet serves as the liaison between our graduate students and the BU Financial Assistance office.