BU MS + Brigham and Women’s Hospital DI Partnership
During the MS+DI preselect application process, applicants can elect to be considered for our partnership program with Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) Dietetic Internship (DI).
Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) is a large urban teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School in the heart of Boston’s renown Longwood Medical Area. The BWH Dietetic Internship (DI) is an 11-month program with a clinical concentration committed to providing the highest quality training to prepare entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists who will function competently, creatively, compassionately, and collaboratively in a dynamic health care environment.
The BWH DI offers a wide range of learning experiences, with rotations in ambulatory care, acute inpatient care (including critical care, independent study, and staff relief), pediatrics, food service systems management, and research.
- Guaranteed Merit Scholarship. Merit awards are included in acceptance letters.
- Combines BU’s prestigious graduate degree with the renown BWH DI, one of the oldest and most respected in the country.
- With faculty support, students build an MS concentration in an area of interest. Sample concentrations include clinical nutrition, counseling, research, sports nutrition, food policy.
- MS coursework includes biostatistics, nutritional epidemiology, metabolic regulation, nutrition research pursuing an area of your choice, and an optional practicum.
- Trains you to evaluate and implement the results of current research, solve problems, and communicate effectively.
- Experience a team approach to clinical nutrition care.
- Enter the field as an MS, RD with strong preparation to meet the standards of performance in any area of food and nutrition practice, especially in clinical nutrition.
See below for further instructions on how to apply. Students enrolled in this program will first complete their MS in Nutrition at BU, followed by a DI at BWH. (Link here)
The BU MS + BWH DI partnership spans 22-24 months and allows enrolled students to begin their guaranteed BWH DI in August or October following the completion of the MS curriculum in May. Students enrolled in this partnership also have the flexibility to build their own MS concentration. Please note that enrolled students are responsible for all BWH costs associated with the DI.
Applicants matching with our MS/DI program are guaranteed merit-based scholarship.
|Year 1||MS Semester 1 at BU – September||MS Semester 2 at BU – complete in May|
|Year 2||Begin DI at BWH – August or October||Complete 46 week DI – summer|
|# of Weeks||Rotation|
|24 weeks||Clinical Nutrition (includes specialty units)|
|4 weeks||Food Service Systems|
|7 weeks||Ambulatory and Community Nutrition|
|3 weeks||Clinical Nutrition Independent Study|
|5 weeks||Staff Relief|
How to Apply
Prospective students interested in this partnership program are encouraged to attend information sessions for both BU MS and BWH DI. Applicants should follow the standard BU MS+DI pre-select application instructions and apply by November 15. In addition, applicants for this program must select the BU MS + BWH DI Partnership Program within the Questions tab of the Program Materials section of the application.
Select applicants will be invited to interview with BWH as part of the review process.
Students are admitted simultaneously to the BU MS + BWH DI.
If you have questions about the academic portion of BU MS + BWH DI partnership program, please contact Marijane Staniec. For questions about the internship portion of this program, please contact Mary Ellen Kelly.