Bare Metal Provisioning Roundtable
(This event is over, and you may read the event report below!)
This roundtable aims to produce a roadmap that will provide an upstream path for the capabilities of secure elastic provisioning of physical machines in HIL, M2 (formerly BMI), and Bolted. These projects are used in and developed by the MOC and have important features for operating any cloud that supports bare metal to untrusted tenants. We will determine which of those capabilities can be integrated into upstream projects Red Hat supports, or if necessary into other projects that will provide a long-term home for them. Further, we will define research areas around elastic bare metal provisioning that the BU/RH Collaboratory should consider funding in the coming year.
- 8:30-8:45: Introductions
- Includes a vision/problem statement from Orran Krieger
- 8:45-9:20: Overview of existing project capabilities and roadmaps.
- Seven minutes per project please, no more than two slides each!
- 9:30-10:20: Network provisioning and management.
- Focus on HIL, Ansible Networking, requirements from MOC and RH Produce Management, roadmap.
- 10:30-11:20: Bare metal provisioning, management, attestation.
- Focus on Ironic, BMI, Ironic-Inspector, QUADS. How do we manage workflow? How do we clean machines between use? How do we attest? How do we set boot drive (local and remote)? Other issues?
- 11:30-12:30: Open time to address parking-lot items from first three hours.
- Resolve roadmap questions, research areas.
- 12:30-1: Lunch (provided)
- 1-5: Open.
- We have the space for the whole day, however, so if there is interest in fleshing out topics or research ideas that is encouraged.
Overview of projects that will be discussed
Projects that will be discussed at this roundtable include the following:
- Ironic Inspector
- Ansible Networking
- Foreman Provisioning
Additional projects we should discuss? Contact us.
Preparing for the Roundtable
Before the roundtable you’ll want to:
- Review the background reading for the event, available here.
- Prepare a 7-minute presentation for your project, no more than 2 slides!
If you need any help with the above suggestions, please feel free to use the Collaboratory contact form for assistance.
Contact the Collaboratory with any questions you may have about this event.