Limited submissions are funding opportunities that limit the number of applications or nominations an institution may put forward. At Boston University, the limited submission process is managed by the Office of Research. On the Medical Campus, the process is coordinated by Dr. Andrew Taylor.
Current OpportunitiesView Current Opportunities
- The Office of Research manages all limited submission applications and nominations submitted by Boston University’s Charles River Campus. As such, all announcements of limited submissions will be disseminated by the Office of Research. If you do not see a competition you are interested in on InfoReady, please bring it to our attention as soon as possible by contacting Joe Farmer.
- Announcements are generally distributed from the Office of Research to the appropriate Associate Deans for Research (or equivalent) or to Center Directors. Those offices then distribute the announcements to appropriate faculty members.
- Deadlines for specific limited submissions may differ from year to year depending on when a sponsor announces a particular competition.
- To apply, please submit materials via BU InfoReady Review or contact Joe Farmer for application directions.
- Faculty may not apply directly for an opportunity without institutional endorsement. It is essential you bring the opportunity to the Office of Research as quickly as possible, as an internal selection process may still need to be conducted even if the deadline is very close.
- Before you apply for a limited submission opportunity, please make sure to check the announcement and sponsor documentation for eligibility, specific deadline, and submission information. In requesting to be considered by the Vice President and Associate Provost for Research for these limited submission funding opportunities, you are making a commitment, if selected, to submit your proposal to the sponsor in a timely manner. As such, please make sure that, if selected internally, you will be able to submit the final application by the sponsor deadline.
Internal Selection Process
- The Vice President and Associate Provost for Research will convene a committee to review all applications and select candidates and will coordinate with the Medical Campus on joint opportunities.
Major Annual Opportunities
The table below contains a few of the major limited submission opportunities managed by the Office of Research. Announcement dates can change at the funder’s discretion, due to the availability of funds, or a variety of other factors. The table is not an exhaustive list of all opportunities. Please check InfoReady for a list of current opportunities.
|Sponsor||Opportunity||Timeline for Internal Announcement (Approximate)|
|Mellon Foundation||New Directions Fellowship||Early Summer Annually|
|Alfred P Sloan Foundation||Sloan Research Fellowships||Summer Annually|
|National Institutes of Health||Director’s Early Independence Awards (DP5 Clinical Trial Optional)||Summer Annually|
|Rita Allen Foundation||Rita Allen Scholars||Summer Annually|
|Samsung||Samsung GRO||Summer Annually|
|Simons Foundation||Simons Foundation Investigators in Mathematics, Physics, Astrophysics and Computer Science||Summer Annually|
|The Greenwall Foundation||Greenwall Faculty Scholars in Bioethics||Summer Annually|
|The Blavatnik Family Foundation||Blavatnik Nation Awards||Late Summer Annually|
|Moore Foundation||Moore Inventor Fellows||Late Summer/Early Fall Annually|
|National Science Foundation||Innovations in Graduate Education (IGE) Program||Late Summer/Early Fall Annually|
|Brain Research Foundation||Seed Grants||Fall Annually|
|Keck Foundation||Research Grants||Fall Annually|
|NSF||Major Research Instrumentation (MRI)||Late Fall Annually|
|Agilent||Agilent Early Career Professor Award||Winter Annually|
|Microsoft||Faculty Fellows||Winter Annually|
|NSF||Research Traineeship (NRT) Program||Winter Annually|
|NSF||Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM)||Winter Annually|
|NIH||Instrumentation Grants (SIG and HEI)||Late Winter Annually|
|1907 Research||1907 Trailblazer Award||Spring Annually|
|Brain Research Foundation||Scientific Innovation Award||Spring Annually|
|Charles H Hood Foundation||Major Grants Initiative||Spring Annually|
|Edward Mallinckrodt Jr Foundation||Mallinckrodt Foundation Grants||Spring Annually|
|Hartwell Foundation||Individual Biomedical Research Awards||Spring Annually|
|NIH||Collaborative Program Grant for Multidisciplinary Teams (RM1)||Spring and Fall Annually|
|NIH||Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Institutional Predoctoral Training Program in the Neurosciences||Spring Biennial, Even years|
|Pew Charitable Trusts||Pew Biomedical Scholars||Spring Annually|
|Kinship Foundation||Searle Scholars||Late Spring Annually|
|The William T. Grant Foundation||William T. Grant Scholars||Late Spring/Early Summer Annually|