Special Care Request
Special Care Request (SCR) are animal activities other than standard animal husbandry. SCR include but not limited to: special food, special water, restricted feed, restricted water, special bedding, special cage changing. The special care requests are initiated with researchers submitting the Special Care Request form to ASC and subsequent labeling of appropriate caging with the Special Care Instruction cage card(yellow). Special Care activities may be performed by ASC and/or research staff as directed on SCR.
BU ASC Charles River Campus
- Please fill out the Special Care Request form. The form can be downloaded.
- This should be typed and submitted online when possible to email@example.com
- This should be submitted, at least 48 hours prior to the activity being needed.
- Prior to a weekend or holiday these should be submitted by Thursday at 4 PM.
- Research staff requesting SCR are expected to label cage(s) with yellow Special Care Instruction card. Card filled out with all appropriate information. Additional labeling and/or signage posting may be required depending upon study, special conditions, other.
- FOR FOOD AND WATER RELATED REQUESTS, a “color coded dot system” is in place to try to standardize information and minimize manual writing. Colored dots on cage cards and Special Care Request denote special instructions. Reminder that start date and end dates are critical information.
- RED Dots= Food Restriction: PI will FEED during the week and ASC staff will FEED number of pellets indicated on the red dot during weekends and holidays.
- GREEN Dots= WATER deprivation: PI, removes and adds WATER bottle to the animal. PI is responsible 7 days a week. YELLOW Dots, when used in tandem with GREEN Dots, denote ASC staff will provide or remove water access on designated day (s) and time (s) as specified by the PI.
- BLUE Dots= Food Restriction, specified time: PI or ASC staff will feed animals at or after a specified time of day. Time is determined by the PI.
BU ASC MED
- Please fill out the Special Care Request form. Form can be downloaded.
- Form can be emailed to BUASC@bu.edu, delivered in person to W707, 700 Albany St, or fax 617-358-8277.
- The SCR should be submitted at least 48 hours ( Monday-Friday) prior to the activity needed.
- Cage(s) must be labeled with yellow Special Care Instruction card with all appropriate information. Primary person(s) to place yellow SCR cage card is person or lab staff requesting SCR. Most important label for SCR is the yellow SCR card at the cage.
- Additional labeling may be added in addition to the yellow Special Care Instruction card dependent upon study, special conditions.
Cage Card Images
Special Care requests should be noted on cage cards as applicable. See detailed information about cage cards here.