- Title Professor
- Email email@example.com
- Phone (617) 353-9233
- Education PhD, University of Marburg
Professor Hofmann will not be taking any new students or research staff at Boston University for the next 5 years, starting July 2021. During this time, he is the Alexander von Humboldt Professor at the University of Marburg, Germany. You may still contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Stefan G. Hofmann is a Professor in the clinical program where he directs the Psychotherapy and Emotion Research Laboratory. His main research questions include the following:
- Why are psychological treatments, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, effective for anxiety disorders? What is the mechanism of treatment change, and what are the active ingredients? How can these treatments be improved further?
- How can we translate knowledge from basic neuroscience into clinical techniques to enhance therapies for anxiety disorders?
- What are the culture-specific expressions of mental disorders, and how can psychological treatments be made more culturally sensitive in order to enhance their efficacy, dissemination, and acceptability?
- What are the effects of emotion regulation strategies on anxiety and subjective well-being?
- What is the psychopathology of social phobia (social anxiety disorder)? Are there any meaningful subgroups?
For more information about Dr. Hofmann’s publications and current research, please visit his lab website.