Lu Lingzi Scholarship
The Lu Lingzi Scholarship Fund at Boston University was created through generous gifts to the endowment by members of the Boston University Board of Trustees, the BU community and many other individuals from around the world united by the desire to keep Lu Lingzi’s memory and example alive.
Lu Lingzi was a beloved member of the BU community whose life was tragically cut short by the Boston Marathon bombing attack. An optimist with a powerful work ethic, she had just passed the first part of the master’s comprehensive exam—an accomplishment that gave her great satisfaction. To honor her memory, the Lu Lingzi Scholarship Fund will provide support to outstanding international students who are pursuing their master’s degrees at Boston University.
Two Lu Lingzi Scholarships will be created by the fund, and one new scholarship will be awarded on an annual basis. Each scholarship will provide an annual stipend and full tuition remission for either two years or the duration of the master’s program, whichever is less.
Eligibility, Application and Selection
- Outstanding international students who plan to pursue a master’s degree at Boston University are eligible for consideration. Preference will be given to outstanding students from China.
- The Dean of each school or college may nominate any number of students for consideration each year. Student’s may not directly apply to the award.
- Nominations by the school or college Dean should include a PDF of the nominee’s complete graduate application.
- Nominations should include a cover memo from the Dean describing the qualifications of the nominee.
- Selection will be based on the quality of the applicant’s academic achievements and the potential for success.
- Nominees will also be required to submit a 1 page statement on what they hope to gain out of their graduate degree and time at BU, they will work with their respective school/college’s Dean’s office on including the statement in their nomination materials.
- A faculty committee Chaired by the Associate Provost for Graduate Affairs will make a recommendation to the Provost regarding the selection of the scholarship recipients.
The nominating Dean’s office should provide nomination materials as 1 single collated PDF:
- a cover memo describing the academic qualifications and professional potential of the nominee
- a copy of the nominee’s complete graduate application
- for current students, please submit a copy of their transcript
- a 1-page statement from the nominee on what they hope to gain out of their graduate degree and time at BU
- To be considered for this fellowship, a student should be in contact with their school/colleges Dean’s office to provide this written statement.
All nominee materials should be submitted into the following Qualtrics portal.
Nominations are due on February 15, 2024.
Requirements of Lu Lingzi Scholarship recipients
- Recipients must be full-time students and may not undertake employment or other significant commitments during the academic year.
- Recipients must remain in good academic standing, lawful immigration status, and make timely progress towards the completion of their degree.
- The recipient will submit a report of progress at the end of the first year to the Associate Provost for Graduate Affairs; failure to remain in good academic standing, remain in status, or make timely progress may result in the revocation of the scholarship, including termination of the stipend.