Elizabeth Dort

Elizabeth Dort, Current MD Candidate

BU Major & Graduation Date:

Biology, May 2021

Current School and Year:

Creighton University School of Medicine– Class of 2026

Preferred Pronouns:

She/Her/Hers

Hometown:

Park Ridge, IL

What school are you attending and what you are studying? Why did you choose to apply to this school? What do you think makes your school unique?

I am currently getting my MD at Creighton University School of Medicine! I chose Creighton because I really aligned with their values, and they foster a very supportive environment among the students. I vividly remember attending Creighton’s information session at BU and having a feeling the school seemed like a good fit for me (I have even grown to love Omaha). I truly think our values make the school unique, focusing on the mind, body, and soul of each patient, and it connects the class together. My fellow classmates are incredibly encouraging of one another in a way that makes Creighton stand out. Everyone is eager to share resources and support each other which makes medical school so much more manageable. For example, our practical exams take place in two groups of students. When the first group finishes, the second group is waiting outside with cheers and applause. Those kinds of moments make me realize how we are lucky Creighton brought us together for such a unique experience. I really love attending Creighton so far and am excited to see what the next three and a half years bring!

Is there a specialization and/or specific population you are interested in? Why? How did you get into it and/or learn more about it?

Right now, I am interested in pediatrics. I have always loved helping and working with kids. Most of my previous clinical experience has been in pediatrics which confirmed my interest. I am excited to get more exposure to other fields throughout medical school, so you never really know where you will end up. Although, I could definitely see myself committing to pediatrics and maybe adding a specialization.

What are one or two of your favorite experiences/activities and why?

One of my favorite medical school experiences has been getting to work in the case-based learning small groups. You go through a case with your group every week discussing questions and solving problems. The cases can be really interesting and it is fun to bond with your group over the semester! I have also already had such a great time outside of school with my classmates. One weekend, we went to a Nebraska football game and spent the day together in Lincoln—it was a lot of fun!

Did you take a gap year? 

I took one gap year after graduating BU and spent it working as a medical assistant in an outpatient pediatric office near my hometown. I was able to gain valuable practical skills and experience, like interviewing patients, taking vitals, performing lab work, and administering injections. However, I also learned on a deeper level what it means to be a doctor and develop long-lasting relationships with patients. I was applying to medical school at that time too, so the gap year allowed me to focus on my secondaries and interviews without having to balance coursework. My work schedule was pretty flexible as well allowing me time to travel and have some fun before starting medical school.

What was your favorite BU course and why?

I took a lot of great courses at BU; however, my favorite was probably BI 203: Cell Biology—probably not a common answer… BI 203 was the first course where I could understand how the science connected with medicine, and I felt I concepts started to make sense. I was a biology major too, so I found cell biology super interesting and ended up doing a few years of research in it at BUMC. I also really enjoyed all my psych classes at BU too.

Were you involved in any clubs/groups at BU? 

I was involved in Greek Life at BU which helped me meet great people from all over campus. BU is a huge school and participating in a sorority made Boston feel more like a home. I was a member of Sigma Kappa for four years and spent a year as Vice President where I oversaw the risk management program, led our disciplinary council, and ran chapter meetings every other week. This was a great position to strengthen my leadership skills.

I was also involved in the BU Wizards program in which I worked closely with other volunteers to promote an interest in STEM by creating entertaining and informational experiments for school age children in the Boston area. It was a nice way to work with other BU students and give back to our Boston community!

Have you always known you wanted to be a doctor? What/who has been your biggest inspiration?

I have known since a young age I wanted to be a physician. I do not remember exactly when that desire started, but my mom tells me I have said it since I broke my arm in kindergarten and had to go to the orthopedic surgeon. I think my biggest inspiration is one of the physicians I worked with at the pediatric office because he embodied the kind of physician I am striving to become, and he was incredibly encouraging of me on my pre-medical journey. Every day I watched as patients’ faces would light up when he entered the room. He treated every patient, parent, and staff member with kindness and possessed a calm understanding of what to do in any situation he encountered. I hope to be just like him when I become a physician.

What resources at BU did you find most helpful or want to spotlight that others might not know about?

A lot of the courses I took at BU provided a great foundation which I did not realize at the time—I thought all medical students would generally have the same understanding. However, I was one of only a few medical students who had previous immunology knowledge (shoutout BI 385). This happens in all sorts of different areas, and I feel like I was already exposed to things at BU that many of my classmates had never seen. Another big thing for me are the question stems, the way most of my BU professors asked exam questions is very similar to my medical school questions and many students struggled with this at the beginning. Creighton also uses ExamSoft (!!) for exams so I was already comfortable with that as well (one less very small thing to worry about—but that adds up!) I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the skills and knowledge you do not even realize you have from just attending BU.

What are your hobbies/What do you like to do for fun outside of the classroom?

I enjoy running, hiking, and cycling as ways of stress relief. I also really love to try dinner spots around Omaha or Chicago when I visit. Honestly, just getting to see my friends in any non-school setting is the best!

Are there any tips/advice you would like to share with current pre-health students?

If you want to be a physician—please become a physician! To be honest, a lot of people told me certain stats were not good enough or my MCAT was not high enough, especially as acceptances continue to get more challenging. On top of this, most times I encountered a physician and told them I wanted to go to medical school I was met with complaints and advice telling me not to choose this career. All of this would really get to me and make me question my plans. That being said, you know what you want to do! Even when it seems challenging and CH101 or PY105 are killing you or something does not go according to plan– it will work out in the end if this is the career you really want to pursue. Surround yourself with supportive people, don’t get too invested in Reddit/SDN, and go easy on yourself. You will make it work—I promise (and it will be worth it)!