Regan Shanahan

Regan Shanahan, Current MD Candidate

BU Major & Graduation Date:

Biology (Specialization in Neurobiology), Minors: Public Health and Political Science (May 2022)

Current School and Year:

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, MS1

Preferred Pronouns:

she/her/hers

Hometown:

Buffalo, NY

What school are you attending and what you are studying? Why did you choose to apply to this school? What do you think makes your school unique?

I am attending the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in Pittsburgh, PA. UPSOM has a well-established curriculum to prepare students in their pre-clinical years and ample research opportunities. Medical students are required to complete a mentored, longitudinal research project over the course of their medical education. I was drawn to the structured research opportunities and diversity of resources afforded to students (funding for research, mentorship, commitment to student wellness, etc.). I love my classmates and the collaborative environment Pitt has fostered with a true pass-fail grading system. IMHO, Pitt is a phenomenal place to build the foundation of successful career in medicine.

Is there a specialization and/or specific population you are interested in? Why? How did you get into it and/or learn more about it?

I am interested in Neurosurgery! Drawing on my background in Neurobiology during undergrad and my research experiences with Alzheimer’s, I have grown in my fascination with the brain and what happens during brain injury. I am drawn to the redemptive qualities neurosurgery procedures have in restoring quality of life and am eager to see this in action during my career. With national rates of practicing female neurosurgeons hovering around 12% I am inspired to change the face of neurosurgery and support and inspire younger generations of females to pursue their passions and chase competitive medical specialties.

What are one or two of your favorite experiences/activities and why?

Within medical school, I have loved my “moonlighting” shifts with neurosurgery residents. During these shadowing experiences I have met a lot of the residents, learned from surgeries and bedside procedures, and been exposed to the wide range of conditions that neurosurgery consults on. Shadowing the residents have been paramount in jumpstarting research in medical school. I am currently working with a team implementing Augmented Reality in Neurosurgery procedures. It has been so exciting to interface with the technology in the OR.

At BU, my involvement with KDSAP was one of my favorite activities. I enjoyed the hands-on component of the club at the semester screenings and the ability to talk to patients. It was empowering to acutely impact a patient’s health journey and offer them resources to aid in their overall wellness. I also loved my time spent tutoring at Boston Latin School through their Saturday Success Program.

Did you take a gap year? 

No – I went straight through. I took the MCAT March 2021 (spring semester of my junior year) and successfully applied in May 2021. I interviewed throughout my senior fall semester and matriculated August 2022!

What was your favorite BU course and why?

My favorite BU courses were BI 525 and 535 with Dr. Lucia Pastorino. Dr. Pastorino is a passionate and skillful lecturer that exposes you to the intricacies of neurological disease. It was so exciting to be exposed to that level of medical knowledge in undergrad. These classes scratched the clinical itch that many pre-med classes lacked and gave me a glimpse of how disease are studied and treated clinically. I took both classes senior year. I only wish that I had more time to learn from Dr. Pastorino – she is one of a kind!

I also can’t forget – PS 338 with Dr. Cronin-Golom! This was another one of my favorite classes. The class was well organized and Dr. Cronin-Golom is a fantastic lecturer. The course content was right up my alley and I loved the clinical relevance of this class.

BI 310 is also a great course to take ahead of medical school. I had an advantage over my peers in anatomy due to my previous exposure to the material covered in Dr. Kristiansen’s class. Anatomy is not a pre-req for medical school, but some foundation surely helps.

Were you involved in any clubs/groups at BU?

As the President of Healthcare Improvement, Inc I lead a care package initiative to support a local women’s shelter in Boston. I coordinated fundraising efforts between four clubs at Boston University to ultimately raise over $900. These proceeds were used to purchase supplies to build 144 care packages for Rosie’s Place. Understanding the importance of strengthening our social contract with the community we serve, I was grateful for the opportunity to give back to the Boston community. I was also involved in, Kidney Disease Screening Awareness Program (Vice President), Helping Hearts BU (Secretary), Women in Medicine, Alpha Epsilon Delta.

Have you always known you wanted to be a doctor? What/who has been your biggest inspiration?

Yes, I have always wanted to be a doctor! I can remember making my 7th grade Life and Careers poster and beginning to understand the path to medicine. Personally, my grandparents have always served as my greatest inspiration: they played a pivotal role in my childhood, and they taught me the power of compassion and perseverance. I carry their lessons in a special place in my heart and hope to practice medicine in a way that reflects the morals that they have instilled within me. Learning through their complicated health experiences has invigorated my desire to care for others during the most vulnerable parts of their lives and provide patient-centered care to all.

What resource at BU did you find most helpful or want to spotlight that others might not know about?

I was an ERC tutor for >2 years and think it is an underutilized service at BU. The ERC offers free, 1v1 tutoring sessions for a broad spectrum of STEM classes with dedicated and knowledgeable student tutors. Students can have attend drop-in office hours for some classes, book single appointments, schedule group tutoring sessions, and/or establish weekly sessions with the same tutor. The ERC is a safe space for students to receive support and work to their highest potential.

What are your hobbies/What do you like to do for fun outside of the classroom?

I love to cook! I host “Sunday Night Dinners” for my medical school friends and try to cook a new recipe every week. I have started a food IG to document my progress. I love bringing people together, sharing good food, and unwinding from our busy time in school. I also enjoy running as a form of stress relief and to stay active during school. In the spring, I am planning to run the Pittsburgh half marathon!

Are there any tips/advice you would like to share with current pre-health students?

You must be your biggest cheerleader. There will always be a challenge for you to overcome: from passing CH 203, to conquering standardized tests, to making it through competitive admissions cycles. At the end of the day, you are the only one who knows how hard you are working and the potential you hold to positively contribute to the world around us. Do not get bogged down by negative peers, admissions statistics or anyone who questions you. Never lose sight of why you got into a health-related career and stay true to your goals. Medicine is not for the faint of heart! You will end up exactly where you are supposed to be.