It is an honor to participate in the long and proud tradition of intercollegiate athletics at Boston University. I recognize that BU expects me to experience personal growth, academic achievement, and athletic success. I appreciate that membership on a BU athletic team is a privilege, not a right.
I acknowledge that, as a BU student-athlete, I also have significant responsibilities. I recognize that I am among the most visible students on campus and in the wider community, and that I am expected to behave as a respectful member of an intercollegiate team and in a manner that is consistent with the values of Boston University. Because BU athletes are held to high standards of conduct, I understand the need to exercise good judgment and conduct myself with honesty, integrity, and respect for others at all times.
Code of Conduct:
By signing below, I agree to conduct myself in accordance with all rules and requirements of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the athletic conference in which my team participates, and Boston University, including the Code of Student Responsibilities and the rules of my team. I also agree as follows:
- University Community: I will be a responsible and engaged member of the University
community. I will strive to represent my team in and outside the classroom, and show respect for all members of the University and the broader community. I will lead by example. I will remember that both my own and my team’s reputations are at stake when I am participating in intercollegiate competition, attending classes, and socializing with friends and others both in and outside of the University community.
- Academic Standing: I will assume full responsibility for my academic progress and
achievement. I will make every effort to stay in good academic standing at the University. I will attend all my classes unless excused for team travel and competition or some other legitimate reason. I will seek additional academic help if necessary to improve or maintain my academic standing.
- Travel as a University Ambassador: When traveling for competitions or training as a
representative of both BU and my team, I will behave responsibly and portray a positive image of Boston University at all times.
- Cyberspace: I will not author, forward, or post vulgar or offensive notes, texts, photographs, or other content that reflect negatively on me, my team, other individuals, or the University, or that conflict with the spirit or intent of this Code or the Code of Student Responsibilities. Whenever possible, I will discourage others from posting text or photographs that could be deemed unflattering or damaging to my, or others’, reputation, or the reputations of the team or the University. I acknowledge that I am required to comply with the Rules and Guidelines for Student-Athlete Use of Social Media.
- Alcohol and Drug Use: I will not consume alcoholic beverages on team trips or athletic events. I will comply with the policies described in the BU Lifebook’s University Statement on Illegal Drugs and Alcohol. I will not use or distribute banned substances, including illegal and “performance enhancing drugs,” or take prescription drugs unless they have been prescribed for me by a medical professional.
- Violence: I will not engage in and will not be tolerant of violent acts, including assaults on persons or property, hate crimes, hazing (addressed more fully below), stalking, sexual violence, or any other conduct prohibited by law or University policy. If I witness such acts perpetrated by others, I will report them to my coach or another University authority immediately. I acknowledge that the Department of Athletics may, in its discretion, immediately suspend me from my team and prohibit me from practice and competition until further notice in the event I am accused of a crime of violence or sexual assault.
- Nonconsensual Sexual Contact: I will not initiate or engage in nonconsensual sexual contact or sexual harassment, and I acknowledge that all forms of harassment and non-consensual sexual contact are prohibited both by law and Boston University rules, described in more detail in the BU Lifebook’s Sexual Harassment Policy.
- Hazing: I will not participate in hazing of any sort. I acknowledge that such acts, either in connection with membership on a University athletic team, participation in an informal or formal team activity, or for any other reason, are strictly prohibited. I will refrain from any act, whether physical, mental, emotional, or psychological, that subjects another person, voluntarily or involuntarily, to anything that may abuse, mistreat, degrade, humiliate, harass, or intimidate another person. Such acts may include, but are not limited to: forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to consume alcohol or any other substance; forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to involuntarily perform physical activities, tattoo, pierce, or shave any part of the body; forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to take part in an illegal or indecent activity; disturbing others during normal sleeping hours; or physically abusing others in any way.
- Remaining Informed of Expectations and Policies: I am responsible for my own behavior and for reading, understanding, and abiding by the policies applicable to me, including but not limited to the Boston University Lifebook , the Code of
Student Responsibilities, and the current year’s BU Student-Athlete Handbook (find it at the Student-Athlete Support Services page).
I understand that failure to conduct myself responsibly, as stated and implied by the conditions in this Boston University Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, may result in sanctions, up to and including suspension or dismissal from the team, loss of my athletic scholarship, and suspension or expulsion from Boston University.
I agree to abide by and enforce this Code as indicated.