What Is Crime Prevention?
Crime prevention is the anticipation, recognition, and appraisal of a crime risk and the initiation of some action to remove or reduce it.
What Does This Mean for You?
Your call may save a life, prevent an injury, or stop a criminal act. Many crimes occur literally “under the noses” of citizens who did not notice anything suspicious. The direct reduction of crime at Boston University is because of you; no police department can function effectively without the earnest assistance of responsible citizens.
The Boston University Police Department depends on YOU to call and report to us whenever you observe suspicious persons or actions on campus. Do not worry about being embarrassed if your suspicions prove unfounded. Think instead about what might happen if you neglect to report suspicious persons or activity. The responsibility for safety on campus does not rest solely with the police department; it is shared by YOU. In fact, your involvement is the most important factor in crime prevention. You are the eyes and ears in the Boston University community and your quick thinking can help prevent a crime.
Suspicious? You Bet!!
What is SUSPICIOUS? Anything that seems slightly “out of place” for the area or time of day in which it occurs. The most obvious things to watch out for and report are:
- Strangers entering your neighbor’s room when it is unoccupied.
- Anyone trying doors to see if they are locked.
- Persons entering or leaving an academic office area after hours.
- Audible screams, anywhere and anytime. They may mean an assault, a rape, or a robbery is in progress.
- The sound of breaking glass or other loud, explosive noises. An accident, burglary, or vandalism may have occurred.
- Persons around bicycle racks carrying bolt cutters, pipes, or other tools.
- A person running—especially one carrying something of value—could be leaving the scene of a crime.
While most of the situations described above could have innocent explanations, your police department would rather investigate crime-prone situations than be called when it is too late.